Drivers door sagging

93tbirdsc

Anyone else have this problem?
I picked up a hinge kit from Ford and the body shop want $300 to replace them. If I do it my self I will have to pull the dash to get the nuts underneath. How hard it is to pull the drivers door?

The driver door on my 95 sagged really bad. I was just going to re-pin the hinges but the bushing holes were already egged out pretty bad.
I replaced the drivers and passengers hinges with new Ford pieces.
You don't have to pull the dash to get at the inside nuts but you will have to pull the dead pedal on the driver side and the EEC on the passengers and reach way up into the firewall area to get at the top hinge nut.
Once you have the inside nuts removed the door can just be unbolted from the hinge and pulled away slightly while the hinge is replaced if you have a friend to steady the door on a floor jack while you work.

I removed the upper hinge without messing around the back side to access the nuts. You have to grind out the rivit on the upper hinge with a dremel tool, unbolt the hinges from the body while supporting the door on the bottom and top to pull it away from the body by about 6 inches. I looped a strap thru the window frame and attached it to the ceiling to keep the door upright. I used a milk crate with stackes of 2x4's to support the bottom of the door.

I installed the pin replacement kit available from Pep boys or Autozone. I had to get a 12mm drilll bit to make sure the bushing was a nice press fit. The nuts for the hinges are capture nuts so they move around but don't fall out, if you know what I mean.

Back