PBR swap- one side at time - caliper locking problem?

mopar70

I started my swap over to 2003 PBR calipers from a mustang. I cleaned up both calipers, painted them and reloaded them with new pads. Also greased the pins up well. I put the right side caliper on this weekend, with a new rotor. I left the driver side as factor caliper (due to timing reasons). I took the car around the block, about 2.5 miles to burnish the pads and rotor (just to burnish the brakes). I was surprised how hot the right side was after the slow stops (30 mph to stop about 10 times with one minute in between). The left side was noticably cooler. The right side is hot, not smoking burning hot - but noticeable.

Is there a logical reason that running with one side as a single piston original caliper and one side as the PBR dual piston this would cause a problem?

I lifter up the front right corner, and the caliper feels tight - tought to spin - after the drive. During one stop I felt the ABS kick in a bit, but only once. I'm thinking the imbalne between left and right is a problem. Just trying to decide if I should put the left side on, and give it a test or tinker with the right side more. I realize most people have probably not run their brakes this way, but thougth someone might have? I was planning on finsihing the job this weekend, but I found this little test drive interesting.
Thanks,
Scott

If they are used calipers, there's a possibility that it may be seized. Also make sure you used the correct mounting bolts. The stock Thunderbird bolts are too long. They will touch the rotor. I had to learn that the hard way. I would recommend checking the one you installed, and then doing the other side. I don't think it will hurt anything, but it will probably pull to the PBR side when braking. The second pic shows stock T-bird bolts on the right, and the shorter ones from the Mustang on the left.

IMG_20130128_140319_zpsea75150a.jpg

IMG_20130128_105135_zps77aecedb.jpg

IMG_20130128_105119_zpsef351eeb.jpg

You need to put the other side on to even out the braking force on each side. If you apply the same hydraulic pressure to each caliper the one with the larger area pistons is going to apply greater braking force.

David

Confirm the bolts as above, but otherwise I would wait until both PBRs are mounted before making any conclusions.

Mopa 70, did you clearance the calipars from the spindle? If not it may be hitting messing up the slides and causing a binding and heat.

Back