TV cable adjustment

OffRoadRanger00

Ive watched a couple vids and talked to a few people on this. I know its crucial to be set properly or you can toast the transmission. I've got it set right now to where its barely pulling on the cable with the throttle plate closed. It seems to work well but the trans seems to want to go into overdrive to quickly (like right at 40) my last few AOD's would wait till about 45. Does that cable have anything to do with that? Anyways, back to the base question......What is the proper way to set that cable so I don't burn up the trans I just put in. Thanks in advance!
Wes H.

I just read the "proper way" I think ive got mine close. Im gonna move it one more notch out tommrow and I think it will be perfect. but feel free to chime in. info is always good.

It seems to work well but the trans seems to want to go into overdrive to quickly (like right at 40) my last few AOD's would wait till about 45.

How far are you into the throttle when it upshifts? What speed will it downshift at if you get into the throttle?

The proper method involves tapping into some ports on the transmission and adjusting the TV cable to obtain a specific amount of fluid pressure.

Lentech told me to ignore that stuff and set the TV cable as tight as possible without restricting the throttle plate from opening fully. I've been driving it like that for at least 10 years. If doing it this way you need to replace the plastic grommet on the throttle linkage with a brass bushing and clip pin that you can get at the Ford dealer. If the TV cable pops out of the stock grommet your transmission will be toast, before you even know it happened.

Ford part # for the kit is F3SZ-7H303-B

attachment.php

David

Last edited:
I just read the "proper way" I think ive got mine close. Im gonna move it one more notch out tommrow and I think it will be perfect. but feel free to chime in. info is always good.
Notch at a time is what I recommend. What matters most is simply that the cable is attached and that it moves with the throttle. :cool:

ive got it about perfect, but it goes from 1 and don't stay in second long when I get into it. Normal driving its fine, just when I step down it's 1.........2...3. could be the different springs in the valve body cause it is a mustang trans. Guess I can use the ol pull her back in 1st trick when im hard into it. At least that way it will stay in second till I bump it back into drive. Shoulda got a manual trans car. lol

The proper method involves tapping into some ports on the transmission and adjusting the TV cable to obtain a specific amount of fluid pressure.

Lentech told me to ignore that stuff and set the TV cable as tight as possible without restricting the throttle plate from opening fully. I've been driving it like that for at least 10 years. If doing it this way you need to replace the plastic grommet on the throttle linkage with a brass bushing and clip pin that you can get at the Ford dealer. If the TV cable pops out of the stock grommet your transmission will be toast, before you even know it happened.

Ford part # for the kit is F3SZ-7H303-B

attachment.php

David

It does have the brass bushing conversion.

ive got it about perfect, but it goes from 1 and don't stay in second long when I get into it. Normal driving its fine, just when I step down it's 1.........2...3. could be the different springs in the valve body cause it is a mustang trans. Guess I can use the ol pull her back in 1st trick when im hard into it. At least that way it will stay in second till I bump it back into drive. Shoulda got a manual trans car. lol
In general, the AOD doesn't use 2nd much at all. I have to mash the pedal down when going around a turn to keep it from jumping into 3rd and bogging down. Its just how they're made. The OD is annoying in crowded highway traffic; I usually just pull it into D to keep some form of quicker acceleration and then shift to OD when finally able to cruise over 60. And yes..the 5speed is a whole lot better in traffic for that reason.. that is you can hold a gear. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I got it adjusted right. I have to get an aftermarket trans cooler cause the factory unit isn't keeping up. SCP has a nice one for around a hundred bucks im gonna invest in. I would like to eventually install an A/F gauge for each bank and a trans temp gauge. Does Auto Meter make a good one that is electric? Does anyone else run a trans temp guage? if so where is the best place to mount the sending unit? I raced a built LT1 Camaro last night and almost beat him (he spun, I hooked and jumped his ~~~) crossing the 1/8 mile line my front tire was at his rear tire. My trans got HOT tho, and I don't wanna be throwing a different one in every other week. So precautionary measures need to be taken before I line up with anyone else. Any input is greatly appriceated. If I was to get accepted to the FB group, id post the race. it was a good one.
Wes H.

In general, the AOD doesn't use 2nd much at all. I have to mash the pedal down when going around a turn to keep it from jumping into 3rd and bogging down. Its just how they're made. The OD is annoying in crowded highway traffic; I usually just pull it into D to keep some form of quicker acceleration and then shift to OD when finally able to cruise over 60. And yes..the 5speed is a whole lot better in traffic for that reason.. that is you can hold a gear. :rolleyes:

The old school AOD trick......When you shift from 1st to D, when the car goes into second pull the shifter back to 1st and it will stay in second till you bump it back to drive? I figured you did just throwing it out there. :D

Yeah, I got it adjusted right. I have to get an aftermarket trans cooler cause the factory unit isn't keeping up. SCP has a nice one for around a hundred bucks im gonna invest in. I would like to eventually install an A/F gauge for each bank and a trans temp gauge. Does Auto Meter make a good one that is electric? Does anyone else run a trans temp guage? if so where is the best place to mount the sending unit? I raced a built LT1 Camaro last night and almost beat him (he spun, I hooked and jumped his ~~~) crossing the 1/8 mile line my front tire was at his rear tire. My trans got HOT tho, and I don't wanna be throwing a different one in every other week. So precautionary measures need to be taken before I line up with anyone else. Any input is greatly appriceated. If I was to get accepted to the FB group, id post the race. it was a good one.
Wes H.

Wes,

I'm using an Autometer electric trans temp gauge on both my SCs with AOD transmission (mounted in pillar pod). I have the sender installed in cast aluminum pans that I got from Lentech. If using long tube header you will need to mount the sender in the back of the pan, if using stock manifolds or medium length headers, you can use one of the pre-drilled and tapped drain ports on the side of the pan.

If you want full control over the shifts and the ability to lockout OD, strongly suggest switching to a Lentech street terminator VB (calibration 2). The old school shovel shift method you mentioned is very hard on the transmission and only allows holding 2nd under hard acceleration. With the Lentech VB you can hold 2nd under all conditions including deceleration.

David

Last edited:
Back