Crankshaft Sensor ?

jjklongisland

OK, so I finally got around to installing my seats after changing out all of the belts and doing the seat frame extension mod. After getting the car back together I said let me try cranking her over and wouldnt you know she started. I havent been able to get her to start for a few weeks. It wasnt getting spark. I got a DIS module and crankshaft sensor and thought it was one of those two items since cam sensor was already done. When I changed the DIS last weekend it still wouldnt turn over. So I install the seats and now she fires up. I decided to later that day take her around the block and stretch out her legs and in the neighborhood she wound up dying as I was coming to a stop. I couldnt get her started. Called my neighbor to tow me home and then as soon as he shows up she fires up. I go through this scenario 3 more time trying to drive about a mile. Everytime I would slow done for a stop sign she would die. I got her back in the driveway and now she wont turn over at all. Does this sound like it could be the crankshaft sensor. I still havent had the time to change it. I am planning on doing it sunday if I can figure how to do it. Any tips?

does the orange upshift light on the tachometer light up when trying to start ? that would be a sign of a bad crank sensor.

Also possible that the stock balancer is failing, unless you have already upgraded to a BHJ. The crank sensor reads off a tone ring attached to the balancer, so when the stock one fails and starts wobbling, it throws off the readings to the crank sensor and can cause a no-start or shut off while driving.

The upshift light has never lit up in the year and a half I have had the car. Dont know if its a dead bulb but I dont recall it even coming on with the key on cycling through the idiot lights. As far as the balancer that would suck.... I am going to change the sensor first and see how goes. Is it a hard job to do?

Back