just wondering

notorious sc

Why is that the SC parts are so expensive.I mean $1,500.for a blower????$800.00For long tube headers???$800.00 for a cat back???.......i recently bought a Pontiac GTP.Ported blower$700,headers $350,cat back$530,intercooler sandwiche$900,tuner $500,with these items i was able to produce some damm good nubers.A well built racing transmission is $1,200.00 .Hopefully this wont get deleted...jus wondering

Lol.......i just find weird that only vendor can sell headers,one vendor for ported blowers,...i know that machinists are expensive,but come on.I love my SC,but its to way too much for lil results and not really to reliability .But i guess your right what say.So much for the preservation of these cars,maybe in the "private" discussion maybe some answers.Im just saying....maybe Kooks should sell to the public,make more money by volume rather than one vendor and only one vendor.....i just hate that everything is so expensive for these cars.

Kooks does sell to the public and they build for other makes and models with the same price range. Long tube late camaro range right around a 1000 bucks. The super coupe is limited prodution, and its supply and demand. There were over 20,000 1969 z-28 camaros built and i believe the total run for sc thunderbird from 89-95 around 50,000. Every 20 plus year old car is going to have reliability issues and performance gains wont be as much. Nothing is cheap.

I think you can mostly chalk it up to the low production numbers of SCs. I still see Grand Prix GTPs and Regal GSes driving around, but I can't remember the last time I saw an SC.

Go own and build a mopar then come back here and share your thoughts on how expensive the supercoupe is to mod. Compared to modifying my Dakota the Supercoupe is way cheap for the power it puts down. Different makes and models are cheaper or more expensive than others, a lot of it is the rarity of the cars as well as the rarity of someone to modify them.

Why is that the SC parts are so expensive.I mean $1,500.for a blower????$800.00For long tube headers???$800.00 for a cat back???.......i recently bought a Pontiac GTP.Ported blower$700,headers $350,cat back$530,intercooler sandwiche$900,tuner $500,with these items i was able to produce some damm good nubers.A well built racing transmission is $1,200.00 .Hopefully this wont get deleted...jus wondering

A MPX blower case and inlet are $1125, $800 headers, $700 catback, $350 double intercooler and $350 quarterhorse tuner = $3325.

You bought a GTP ported blower for $700, $350 headers, $530 catback, $900 intercooler, $500 tuner = $2980.

Sounds like you are splitting hairs.

91dark 239.....totally agree.Ive done a 72 duster with a 318,and yes i had to hold my ankles.....thats V8.
Micahdogg.....yes its almost as close on money,but running mpx correctly,still need the 85mm or 95mm TB,plus MAF mod,plus idler pulley support mods,plus over drive pullies to achieve good HP numbers,plus raised top.Im just saying that i got a lil bit more results for the money.Dont me wrong,id sell my GTP before my SC.It just sucks that these parts are to expensive.....as far as the GTP intercooler that came with pump,plumbing,heat exchanger,and intercooler.

I just don't understand comparing two different cars and acting surprised that parts aren't the same cost and performance isn't gained at the same rate. Furthermore, if you can rationalize the GTP intercooler costing more because it includes MORE parts, why can't you draw the same conclusion when it comes to the "blower upgrade" category between both cars?

I am about close to selling all those upgrades lol. Like micah said when I met him I am trying to get my sanity back I now know what you mean micah.

Everything cost more on an SC because there wasn't very many of these cars produced and Ford quit making them nearly 20 years ago, so any performance parts specifically for an SC are low volume/ high cost. Considering the shrinking number of these cars still on the road, we are lucky to have the options we do.

David

Yes....two different cars,same engine by liter,different body style,almost 400LB difference in weight,same M90 difference style.Im not trying to cause any waves or put any one down.Im just saying that if someone is manufacturing the blowers without the rotors,why such a high cost????........I hate the GTP only with an auto tranny and more so to even work on it.I love the 5spd.Example......tubular control arms that i saw on SCP,almost $900....C'mon,that alot.I understand the skill and talent to make them.But i guess it all goes back the rarity of the SC.Just saying.....

Yes....two different cars,same engine by liter,different body style,almost 400LB difference in weight,same M90 difference style.Im not trying to cause any waves or put any one down.Im just saying that if someone is manufacturing the blowers without the rotors,why such a high cost????........I hate the GTP only with an auto tranny and more so to even work on it.I love the 5spd.Example......tubular control arms that i saw on SCP,almost $900....C'mon,that alot.I understand the skill and talent to make them.But i guess it all goes back the rarity of the SC.Just saying.....

I think you answered your own question.

lets look at this from another view..

Pretty much,but i think there is more to it than just...IMO

I have always been a Ford guy even back when I was young and running NHRA Super Stock 427 fairlanes. I could built a big block chevy from the sunday paper any day you wanted for half the cost as you could do a 427 Ford IF you could even find the parts. There has always been a price difference from building a Gm to a Ford car. Now we are looking at the same thing here. "supply and demand" will always rule the price. Even today it is always more money to play with a Ford then a gm anything.
I am just finishing up another 427 Fairlane and you don't even want to know what you pay for a duel quad manifold with carbs... did someone say over $2000 ??? This all comes down to number of cars made and how many are still out there.. Some of you have seen my 427 Mercury Comet, well go and find even a door handle for that car. This is the price you pay to play and to drive something that not everyone has..
There is a saying. you pay for what you get... We got Fords and we have to pay for them... Life is good and just be happy that we have someone who is still willing to make stuff for these cars... When they stop we are all done....keep that in mind......Rich

This all comes down to number of cars made and how many are still out there..

TRUTH , only cheap Ford parts are the Chinese knockoffs made for the push rod 5.0 found in all the fox body cars. I wouldn't use those parts on anything because most of them are poor quality crap.

David

+1 on the low volume run of the SC's in their lifespan, as well as the dwindling numbers of the ones that are still around--as to why the aftermarket parts cost so much. Many people send these cars to their death at the wreckers, because the cost of fixing them up far outweighs their actual worth (unless you have a super low mileage, very minty one). Since buying mine in February of this year, I haven't seen one driving around town....there was a Thunderbird of this era that i'd seen driving away in my peripheral vision, and it may have been an SC, but it could have been a V6 or LX for all I know. I saw one XR7. The jackshaft belt that I replaced, there were none in town at any of the auto parts stores, and the closest one was halfway across Canada.

But rambling aside, there's just not really the $$$ in it for anyone that isn't a diehard SC fan, and i'd actually have to wonder if places like Magnum Powers really make much on their margins, as it is.

I kind of enjoy the challenge, because it makes me have to work harder for it, 'ya know?

The GTP and SC have two totally different blower cases and inlets. They have two totally different serpentine drive systems. One is intercooled and one is not. Assuming parts should cost the same makes as much sense as comparing parts between the Grand National and GTP because those are also 3.8L V6's.

Anyone complaining about the cost of Kooks headers for the SC clearly don't know the quality, otherwise they would realize that it's not unreasonable. See for yourself what they charge for vehicles with much higher production numbers. Also I see Pace setter headers in mild steel for a GTP are almost $600? The Other Guys headers are $750-$900 depending on if they are coated. Not sure those are even stainless.

Did I see a Corsa stainless catback for $1000 for the GTP? Or you can get mild steel garbage Pacesetter for $600. Sorry that the $800 SC option is so expensive. Again, it sounds like you are really splitting hairs over the cost of parts. It's not like you have a Viper with nearly 25,000 produced and American Racing wants to charge you $2500 for headers just because.

Back