High Pressure PS Line...Why so long?

fastsc92

I'm in the process of populating my k-member and I'm wondering why the HP PS line is unusually long. It routes all the way from the drivers side, to the passenger side and back to the drivers side in a fairly crude manner. Is there any particular reason for this? Is it some sort of flow control/pressure control method? On my tubular k-member, it makes it much less clean to support this long length of hard line rather than just go directly from the pump to the rack. I was planning on using some -AN line and a PS to -AN line adapter from Russel.

Am I missing something on this one?

you are correct

Adds cooling capacity, I think.

This is another way to get rid of heat. They used to put small coolers on the steering lines but this is cheaper and less space is needed. You can and should put one on if you are driving hard like auto cross or such.....Rich

I'm in the process of populating my k-member and I'm wondering why the HP PS line is unusually long. It routes all the way from the drivers side, to the passenger side and back to the drivers side in a fairly crude manner. Is there any particular reason for this? Is it some sort of flow control/pressure control method? On my tubular k-member, it makes it much less clean to support this long length of hard line rather than just go directly from the pump to the rack. I was planning on using some -AN line and a PS to -AN line adapter from Russel.

I am in the process of removing mine on my 92 as I am installing a hydro-boost brake setup. Mine has a cooler in the return line on the passenger side of the radiator. I will be upgrading the cooler and using -an lines direct from rack to PS pump for the high pressure line. I purchased the fittings for the rack and the PS pump to convert to -an from Matt at http://powerbrakeservice.net/

There is a thread that has directions and a parts list for redoing this line with 4 aan tubing. If you can't find it ,PM me. I copied the pictures and directions into my computer. I am too tired to do it tonight.

link to TCCOA write up.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=139232

Back