Failed CA Smog due to leak in gas tank

Kris Campos

So I've been trying to get my car back on the road and took it to get a smog check to get the registration current. All the emissions were fine, but something California started doing is an evap test for cars older than 95. What they do is so a low pressure test by placing something in place of the gas cap. This is what my car failed and they said there was a leak somewhere in the system.

I knew my gas tank was leaking already because if i filled up the tank all the way a couple years ago and it leaked when full. So the few times i would pull it out, and put gas in, i would only fill the tank half way. Also my gas gauge does not seem to be accurate.

With all this stuff, I'm looking for insight on where to start to fix the leak, and if i have to drop the tank should i just replace the pump for a higher volume pump, and what would i have to change to fix fuel gauge?

Also, i lost my manual so if there are just a few steps to drop tank, please post.

Thanks,
Kris

Follow the bolts for the bands to drop but I would check the vent hoses and fill hose you can see from behind tank. If not those make sure the ring to hold sending unit pump assembly is tight

Get a new o ring for the pump seal. I had a leak when I first got mine that was worse when it was full. After procuring a new tank I replaced it only to find out by searching here the o ring is a known weak point. And yes upgrade the pump right away.

Back