Perhaps someone could figure out what's squealing from my video?

WarGoddess

I was told it was the power steering pump but that was when there was barely a squeal and the shop had to get a "stethoscope" to hear the squeal. It's now a constant unless I decide to play with the SC and do some racing on the interstate, at which point it no longer squeals. Anyway, it started shortly after we had to replace the alternator and has progressively gotten to the point where it squeals anytime it's running. It's noticeably louder on a cold start but quiets down (not all the way) after it's been warmed up for a good 20 miles or so. Anyway, here's the video and I can take more if necessary. It's the 3.8 obviously and ALL the fluids and parts were checked when I had the headers/radiator/belts/plugs/wires/misc work done to it after blowing a head gasket.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZwXeX1V2pg Yes, I know, rough start, it's had a few issues since I bought it and a rough start has been the least of my worries after $2700 worth of repairs 3 weeks after buying it.

Does it go away/change if you turn the A/C on?

Did you check to see if the crank pulley wobbles?

Are any of the tensioner idlers hotter to the touch vs. the others? (think this may be the noise)

Do you know how to remove the supercharger belt and test without it?

Did you check fluid level in the supercharger?

Are any of the belts damaged or showing trauma?

Sounds like the tensioner pulleys to me. Pull the belts of one at a time and see when it goes away. Or pull all the belts of and spin the pulleys by hand and see which one is rough. Or spray some lube while its running on the pulleys(bearings) and see if that quiets it up.

Slip the belt off and spin the idler pulleys, if they spin freely and smoothly....no noise, then it is probably the tensioner check it for movement with your ratchet or breaker bar.

Thanks everyone. I haven't had time to check anything just yet (mom of 3 and work as well) but I needed to get a repair manual to find most of the stuff you guys are talking about anyway. Hopefully it will stop raining here this weekend for a bit and allow me to go over some of the things you've suggested.

Thanks and I'll post back with some information.

Back