Need some ideas for rusty seat tracks

aroot1

SCCoA Member
Well, I'm restorecting another '89 that has been sitting for a while. The seat tracks r so rusty that they will NOT move at all front to back, and r back far enough to cover the rear mounting bolts so that I cannot get a wrench of any kind on them. At this point I can't tell if the motors r even any good. I have restored seat tracks/motors before, and have spares on the shelf, IF I can get them out.

Any ideas/advise?

Thanks guys

Adam

If you can get power to the motors, see if you can get the seat to at least raise up. That might give you room to reach underneath and grab onto that aluminum cross bar with a tiny wrench and see if you can get it to turn. Its what drives the opposite side gear, but it might drive the motor side gears as well.. its a long shot.

This might require two people - one climbs in back and presses forward on the lower part of the seat while the other holds the switch to power it forward. I think one of the most common reasons for seeming stuck is due to the grease on the gears/tracks gumming up. Just be sure to take it easy...might want to wet the tracks down with white grease spray first and let that sit over night.

Thanks for the replies. I tried both methods, the drivers was locked up tight. The aluminum cross shaft was too soft, actually twisted the corners off before it would move :eek: I got it tho. I raised the seat as suggested, and broke it down to just the lower frame while still in the car. Once the lower seat pan was removed I could get to the rear nuts.

Adam

Back