Superpoop update and questions

superpoop

Hey guys.

Superpoop has just got back from the shop and the diagnosis is this.

8 year old oil, sludge and crap buildup blocking oil galleys to passenger head. The guys have tried to unblock it using air pressure and failed miserably. The car is now back to me for disassembly to see what I can do. The heads were never removed, but the whole top end runs dry as a bone on one side.

How does the oil flow work on these cars? I will most likely be removing heads to remove the crap from the galleys and hopefully getting somewhere. If I have to remove the motor it will be built with new everything. If I can get it running without I will continue to use it.

What would be the best course of action?

Neill

desludge

You might try putting some kerosene in it and pull the synchronizer out and use a preluber to pump it through oil passages. If you don't have one they are easy to make.
Get an old 3.8 distributor and grind the teeth off the cam gear. Strip everything off the top of shaft and weld a nut on top or a junk socket that fits your air ratchet and spin away. If you get it cleaned out do it again with oil and drain it before you put the good stuff back in it.

Good luck, hope it works for you.

Is kerosine the same thing as flushing oil? It was drained and run with that stuff before they gave up with it and told me full motor build.

Forgot to mention I am in the uk so parts for even the basic 3.8 are rare and expensive. I'll keep on the look out. Failing this I am in Texas first November so I can source bits there!

Sorry I missed you running a flush through it. I thought you just tried air. Kerosene is a fuel, about the same as #1 diesel. Since you have already tried using a flush it probably wouldn't help anyway. Sounds like a teardown is the way to go.

Back