Please help: Removing tranny

Lowflyn_TbirdSC

I own a 95 SC and my 2nd gear syncro is shot. In attempt to learn something and save money, I tried taking tranny out myself. Got driveshaft disconnected, removed exhaust, and was so close to getting tranny out, but there is one bolt that I think is impossible to get off. On the very top of the bell housing on passenger side. Could not get decent grip on it, and it got rounded off. How do I go about getting this bolt out. I am almost there and don't want to give it up. If anyone who has done this before give me some advice that would be great.

email me at toddhix35@hotmail.com

Thanks, Todd Hixenbaugh

i had the same thing happen to me on the same bolt.
so, i went to sears and bought a metrinch socket set and that did
the trick. anyone who has them will tell u they are the s---t.
so, it cost me $130 to get the bolt out.hey, i got a nice socket set too. good luck buddy.
peace out

Either that or take the closest size in standard size socket and pound it on there (it should almost fit before you force it on. Take a block or something and put it on the end of the sockets as to not damage it. I did this on one of the head bolts on my NA V6 and had no trouble (well I guess, doing this at all means I had some trouble). What are those bolts anyway? 10mm or 12mm (I pulled my tranny not a few weeks ago and can't remember. If it's 12mm, use either a 7/16 or 15/32 (the 15/32 would be better but a lot of sets don't go that far in between sizes. If it's 10mm try a 3/8

Yeah I think it is a 12mm. I will either try a different tool, I use Craftsman but I've been told a couple times to try a snap-on or another good tool, or just pound the socket on there and go to town on it. Thanks a lot guys

Back