need clarification on gt brake/ hub swap

J3ARB3AR

ive read a lot of good posts on this topic but nothing that has really addressed all my question an im a little confused. first off I have a 92 sc. I want to swap to the mustang hubs and at the same time go to the gt brake upgrade in the front. so to my understanding for the front I will need the 93+ t-bird spindles, 94+ abs mustang hubs, gt calipers, gt brackets, and gt pads/rotors. now the rear is were I am getting confused, I know I need 99+ cobra hubs and wheel bearings but will they bolt or press right on to the stock 92 sc knuckle?? also what about the rotors, im not big on the idea of drilling a new lug pattern into rotors is there another rotor I can get the fits on the new cobra hub and will fit the stock calipers/brackets/pads? or is it basically either drill the rotor or go to cobra brakes in the rear?? thanks in advance for any advise

For the rears, it is either Cobra rear rotors with the caliper relocation brackets, or re-drill your stock rotors. FYI, since you have a 92, if you wanted to do the Cobra rear rotors, you would need the 93+ rear calipers as well, since the later rear rotors are thinner, which matches the thickness of the Cobra rear rotos. Also for the rear hubs and bearings, the bearings are exactly the same between a 99+ Cobra and an MN12, so you can actually just re-use your stock bearings, or order ones for a 92 tbird. The hubs are the only difference, and 99 Cobra hubs are expensive and difficult to find, so the cheaper route is just re-drilling your stock hubs to the Mustang bolt pattern. My opinion on the brake swap is if you are doing the Mustang hub swap, then Mustang 17" wheels are cheap, and the added cost to go to the Cobra setup front and rear is not that much. If you want to keep the 16" wheels, or don't want to deal with re-drilling rotors, then you can do the GT front caliper upgrade by using 93+ spindles with the 99+ GT calipers, brackets, and pads, but keeping your stock tbird front rotors and hubs. This will give you the improved braking, without having to mess with the complications of the hub swap.

ok that deffinatly helped. id love to go to the cobra setup but I cant afford $1200 in brembos right now im not going that hard lol I wana do the hubs just to make it easier to find better rims. not trying to ask same question twice but I just wana be sure so in the front I would still need the 93 spindles,94+ hubs, gt calipers/brackets/pads and the mustang rotors will fit on that whole assembly?

You don't need to jump up to the $1200 Brembos. Those were only on the Cobra R. The regular cobras and the Mach 1's got 13" brakes in front with a twin-piston PBR caliper, and if you search around, you can find a used set of those for around $250, plus the rotors can be had new for $50 each at any local parts store.

As for the fronts, yes you will need the 93+ spindles, the 93+ sway bar end links, and then for the hubs, pads, and rotors, just order everything for a 99 Mustang GT. Also the Mustang has a different thread stud in the hub, so you will need the Mustang lug nuts.

ahh ok im with yah now. I was thinking for the 13 inch rotors u needed the brembos lol. really appreciate the help thanks man

Back