PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Marathon

91bird
10-20-2014, 12:51 AM
Hey Guys, Just wanted to share a little experince I had today not car related but left me with real nice feeling so I thought I would share.
I know everyone hates when the roads are closed for dummies to run around but I signed up and ran my first marathon today at Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon in Toronto.
I have run lots of races from 5k to half marathons in the last two years since I stared running and this was my first full marathon. I had a lofty goal time and felt real good until 24k when I started having issus with my right achilies, which got real painful but I slowed my pace and carried on. The part that really impressed me in a way I never thought possible before was the tremendous support by thousands and thousands of people that lined the streets for most of the route cheering everyone. It was truly amazing and really made me feel good about our city here that gets a lot of bad vibes but geeze. There are some real nice people out there and if it wasnt for them in a few stretches where I was really struggling my result would have been different. One spot that was really loud and like a big street party was the beaches area which was at about the 32km mark. Total strangers calling your name giving high fives and urging you along is a lot of fun. ( the race bibs have your name on them) I got to see some of the worlds best marathoners run by me a few times in the opposite direction and to see them rolling along is simplly increadible. My wife and kids came down to the finish area and had a great time there as well. My original goal time was 3:10 and I was on target pace until I had the issue with my right foot at about 24k which really slowed me down and I was acutally wondering if I would be able to finish but when I hit the cheering section at the beaches and made the turn back to the city I had to continue, kids were waiting at the finish and didnt want my wife worrying too much. I had to let my goal slip away but i will give it another shot. I managed to finish in 3:40, which I'm happy to have finished and running at that.
Anyway just thought I would share that and how impressed I was with TO today.
Cheers
Drew

philstad28
10-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Congrats :)

RedFox
10-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Great accomplishment Drew. You should be proud.

Denis