PDA

View Full Version : Not so excellent adventure

ALS35
10-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Hey all. I thought some may be wondering how I did at the shootout. I didn't even get there.
I set out early in the morning on the 10th so that I would arrive in Kentucky by 5:00 pm. The car was running great, all the temps and oil pressure were right on and the engine felt stronger than ever.
When I got to Findlay, Ohio, the engine stopped as if it was turned off with a switch. Tried to restart and was really pleased that the engine no longer had any compression. It didn't shed any parts or fluids.
This then turned into the adventure of getting the car towed across Ohio and then getting home.
I had the car towed 163 miles to Dave Dalkes shop. After waiting close to 2 hours for the AAA to send a flatbed tow truck. I have the top CAA plan so this tow didn't cost me. Stayed at a cheap hotel in Madison that night.
Dave and Connie stepped up to help me out. A one way rental car home was going to be a logistical and expensive nightmare involving two rental agencies and both the Buffalo and Toronto airports.
Dave loaned me a car to drive home in. I suspected that this would be a problem at the border. I looked up the Canadian Border Services Agency on the internet but the question I needed answered would not search out. I tried to phone the 800 number provided and found that they do not answer the phone on the weekend. 24 hr service ... ya right. The only way to talk to an agent on the weekend was at the border.
Off I went in Dave's car. The agent at the border turned me back. It is illegal for a Canadian to drive a US plated car in Canada. That ate up all of Saturday. I got the last hotel room within a hundred miles of Dave's place. Seems there was the covered bridge festival happening and 6 weddings in the area that weekend.
On Sunday I rented a car and drove back to the border. With return contract in hand I was told that the only way that it was legal was because I was dealing with emergency car repairs. He said have a nice day and I was home by 5:00 pm Sunday.
I went back to return the rental last Saturday and Tony chased me down for the trip home.
Dave has determined that my timing chain broke. That is the What. The Why will have to wait until he has room inside his shop for my car.
I would like to extend my thanks to Dave and Connie for all the help they provided for me when I was broken down.
Also thanks to Tony for the chase last Saturday.
Needless to say it was a bit of a stressful weekend. Thanksgiving.

91bird
10-22-2014, 08:15 AM
That is rough Al, sorry to hear that. Not just the car, ~~~~ happens but the ordeal to get home. Something I would have never considered.
Nice of the guys to help out, hope the repairs go smooth for ya.

Drew

no164ford
10-22-2014, 04:59 PM
LOL! That sucks! That is why I am not afraid to drive my SC anywhere but racing or something like that I put it on the trailer.

fturner
10-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Thats what happened to my car at Mosport. Timing chain let go when I was on the track. Ended up with bent valves and chipped pistons. Thanks to Tony for helping me out arranging a tow home.

The moral of the story is, I knew I should have replaced that darn thing when I had the motor apart the first time and got a double chain to boot.

Oh well, that was the beginning of the end for the me with SC's.

Fraser

RedFox
10-22-2014, 10:00 PM
And if the chain holds, the pressure in the snout builds up and blows the snout seal leading to a catastrophic supercharger lock-up. But what an amazing sound...:D Now I have a vented snout.

This hobby can be frustrating but when it all works, it almost makes it all worth it. Almost!!!!

Greg Coleman
10-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Sorry to hear that Al. Man I have a harley truck for you to tow her around with.

fast Ed
11-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Just reading this thread now, dang. The joy of modded engines ... NOT. Now I see why you decided to buy a tow vehicle!

cheers
Ed