Tapping out 4R70W pan bolt holes

potshotscott

Thought I had some fluid seeping out of the pan so I went to apply what I thought was light torque to the bolts. Pretty sure I've wasted two of the inserts/coils. Has anyone ever tapped out for larger bolts or installed helicoils? I'd rather tap out for slightly larger bolts - any advice/experience to share?

I'd use coils before i'd go bigger. They're easy, I think and you only have two to buy - that way you don't have to worry about a pair of mismatched bolts later.

Also, did you try a slightly longer bolt on the chance the threads go deeper?

I've used something called keenserts in a couple of spots on my AOD. The only problem with using them is that they require a bigger threaded hole than a regular helicoils.

I've used hellicoils in telecommunication node housings out in the field but am really hesitant to install them in my trans. My node hellicoils were easy to install - I just drilled them out slightly and inserted them. Is it that easy in the trans? Do I need to chase them in with a thread tool first? It's odd/funny how I'm more touchy with the trans housing on my T-Bird than I am an optical node that feeds 500 customer's phone and internet services.

Were the telco housings AI too?

If so, you should be right at home :)

But yes, they're designed to be easy, so I wouldn't be shy about using them. Heck, if you have the time and money, do them all and be done.

All inserts that i have used require a threaded hole to work. The tap will be included but not the drill bit in some kits. the secret is being square and centered, then its a piece of cake and should last the life of the car.We have keenserts at work, I prefer Helicoils.

All inserts that i have used require a threaded hole to work. The tap will be included but not the drill bit in some kits. the secret is being square and centered, then its a piece of cake and should last the life of the car.We have keenserts at work, I prefer Helicoils.

Thanks for the response - I'll look for an appropriate kit and do them all.

Back