flywheel and pressure plate concerns

quatrini

Hey everyone,
Im getting my build finished up and i have a few concerns regarding the flywheel and pressure plate.
I have the 94-95 flywheel and pressure plate on a 92 engine. I bought flywheel and pressure plate bolts from a member on here although the pp ones seem to be the wrong thread pitch. The bolts have the wide shoulder on them, just like the flywheel bolts. Im thinking maybe these are early model bolts and maybe the late model ones i need are different. I did see early model flywheels dont use dowels. My flywheel had dowels but they were messed up during removal to resurface the flywheel.
So my main questions are, are the early model and late model pp bolts different? If so, can i just use full threaded grade 8 bolts from the hardware store?
Are early and late model flywheel bolts different?
Where can i get dowel pins for my late model flywheel? (Ford says they are obselete, will 3.8 mustang dowels work? They say they can get these in stock)

I have a 1989 that has shouldered flywheel bolts, but I don't recall the pressure plate bolts having a shoulder. I'm using a 13lb aluminum flywheel from McLeod that was designed for both the 11 and 11.5 clutch, so has an 11.5 insert, although my clutch is only a 11 inch. I remember the pressure plate came with dowel pins, but I did not use them.

I would be mostly concerned about the flywheel bolts having a good fit. For the pressure plate, just make sure the threads are good and yeah you can use a grade 8 or 10 bolt. You can also buy these bolts in the 5.0 or 4.6 flavor depending on what you need:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6397-a302

P.S. I've had my flywheel and clutch off a half a dozen times and at least on the aluminum flywheel it is hard to keep good threads on the pressure plate. So check those threads and dress them up with a tap if you have to.

If those dowels and bolts will work thatd be awesome but i assumed theyd be different. How sure are you that they will work?

I'm not sure at all. You'll have to do that part....and please let us know what you find. I suspect a phone call to Summit or McLeod could verify if pressure plate bolt from the windsor family is all the same (5.0 vs. 3.8). At that price, I would go that route rather than cobble something together at the hardware store though.

i did some digging and i found info on the subject, if anyone is interested i figured i would post here.

-Both the early and late model flywheels are the same casting, however 94-95 had metric threads for the pp bolts and new holes drilled for dowel pins, 89-93 had sae threads wit no dowels
-on 89-93 the shouldered pp bolts were used because the dowels were not used. this must mean the 94-95 have normal fully threaded bolts since they do in fact have dowels

only info i need now is what size dowel pins to use and where to buy them and this mystery is solved. i do know the dowels are thinner than the pp bolts. the holes in the pp for the dowels are very small.

Thanks for the info. I have gone through a couple clutches and never could figure out why I would need the dowel pins. Speaking of, did you purchase a clutch kit, because the dowel pins usually are included.

Otherwise, if you still need bolts, you may want to just purchase the Ford kit that comes with bolts and dowel pins. They had two flavors that Ford Racing sells, a 8mm and 10mm bolt kit, both metric.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6397-a302/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6397-a46/overview/

I got a little bit of info, the pp bolts are 10x1.5 threads. Looks like the dowels from the link with those bolts are the ones, i just ordered them, will let you all know soon enough

Ford racing part number M-6397-A46 "11 clutch bolt kit" is a perfect fit both in the flywheel and the pressure plate. Its for the dohc 4.6 with the 11" flywheel. But everything works perfectly got it from cj pony parts for 14 bucks

Back