Help w/ wierd problem....those with roller rockers burning oil????

MarineMustanger

Complete engine rebuild, all the Magnum Powers goodies, etc, etc. I had to remove the baffles inside the valve covers(the ones that shroud the PCV and other vent hose) because the valve covers wouldn't fit over the the new roller rockers. I notieced that the first thousand miles I used a lot of oil!!?? Pulled the plugs and the were coated with oil, and had signs of ash. Oil was all the way up into the threads. I thought, oh great valve seals or rings leaking!!??? After I cleaned the plugs up, I noticed that it ran better at first, but then again started to sputter every now and then. I took a look inside the TB and holy ****, a good coating of oil in there, especially back in the inlet plenum. I pulled the vacuum boost line off and....oil there. I pulled the Air charge temp senser out and......oil there. What the hell is going on.

Then i think I figured it out......By removing those baffles inside the valve covers, I was now actually sucking the oil into the intake system through both vents on the valve covers!!!

As anyone run into this??? This has to be what is going on. I routed both the PCV valve and other vent hose directly to the atmosphere, and plugged up the other ends to stop this. This is only a temp fix, but I am considering going with good ole fashion breathers on both valve covers and nixing the PCV valve.

This is going to have to work. Please chime in if you have experienced this or have some input. Thanks.

my guess, it's valve guide or stem seal related. I just say that from my own personal experience. If your rebuilder used anything besides viaton seals (i.e. teflon), you are in trouble.

and the oil in the TB doesn't mean it's comming thru the PCV. If you are dumping enough oil, the EGR will pick it up in the exhaust and suck it right back thru the intake.

You need the baffle to limit the amount of oil going thru the pcv system. Oil does still get into the intake via mist and vapor, but the baffle keeps it at a minimal loss. Maybe you can fabricate a smaller baffle out of aluminum sheet metal.

What Rockers are you using. My FMS blue rockers fit fine under the stock valve cover.

Adj Roller Rockers

I have stud mounted adj roller rockers (Scorpion 1.73). I had the cam reground so I needed the adjustable ones.

Back