transmission swap/rebuild

bro

I have a 1989 cougar that the synchros are bad in. Would a regular m5r2 rebuild kit work or does it have to be the rke m5r2 kit. Same with the trans I found one out of a 1995 2wd f150. Will that work or does it have to be the rke. And whats the difference?

your going to need rke I believe they are hardened better and spinningwheels-sc.com can hook you up with anything you need as well. Someone was selling carbon blockers as well I think Mike puckette.

The RKE blocker rings are originally organic fiber lined. The m5r2/f150 rings are simply unlined. You will get better shifting in a passenger car with the lined rings. That said, it is nearly impossible to find any RKE rings anymore, so Mike Puckett (just do a search and you'll find his contact info) took the initiative to have a run of carbon fiber lined rings made. (Thanks Mike!)

IIRC, Bill of SC performance and Victor, spinningwheels-sc, have some of the stock and sell these too. :cool:

K thanks but will the regular m5r2 blockers work or do I gotta have the one just for this trans. I read online that every 14 tooth 2 were missing and it has 42 teeth is this the same way with the f150 trans?

The non-fibre lined blockers will work just not quite as good as the fibre lined ones.

I believe (haven't got first person experience yet) the difference, as explained to me by Mike Puckett vwas that if speed shifting without fiber lined you will grind a little, if using the non-fiber lined blockers you will have to do you shifting a little slower, but they will work.

The difference between the F150 blockers (~$75) and the Mike Puckett product ($250).

Last edited:
Back