Compression loss on #6

rsatkins

My scanner tells me it detects a problem with cylinder 6, and I can definitely hear what sounds a compression leak, with a loss of power under load.:(
Noticed a bit of oil on the plug, but no blue smoke coming out of the car.
It's got brand new plugs, wires, fuel filter, 73mm MAF

Is it possible that the head gasket could be blown?

I'm really not much of a mechanic, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated

So I would check compression on that cylinder just for the sake of knowing -but I can see how the factory diagnostics may be able to detect low compression but I can't say that I would trust that or even use that as my method of checking it! Get a compression gauge and screw it into the spark plug hole and crank the engine with the coil pack unplugged so it won't start. If it makes 120+ then you have no compression problem on that cylinder. You arnt going to hear a compression leak. I'm going to guess that you mean that you are hearing a vacuum leak which is a lot less severe than a compression problem. When I check for a vacuum leak I try to pinpoint where I hear the hissing noise from and move my hands along all the vacuum Lines,etc in that area until I find the leak. A large enough leak to hear really affects the performance of these cars. A good starting point would be to check every vacuum line for any dry rotting or cracks. Also make sure they are all tight to where they go. Replace any that look old and rotted. Also check the nuts that hold the supercharger pipes to the return plenum and to the intercooler. I've seen those nuts loosen up or lazy technicians not do their job. Might as well check those and make sure they are tight also. As far as a head gasket problem, doesn't sound like that kind of issue to me.

Chris homan

Last edited:
Back