Stupid Mechanics

IMPORTDESTROYER

Well, I had my engine rebuilt last year, and to the best of my knowledge, everything was fine and dandy. Much to my surprise, about 150kms later, the *%^#$' pulley, flies of the crank, and much to my surprise, there were only 3 bolts holding it on ; (. After they repair it, about 6 months later, it happens again, today, in the snow, on the highway. Now I'm livid. Upon inspection, i find all for bolts are sheered, and stuck in the block. This is why I hate those kiniving theves that call themselves professionals. Any suggestions on how I can remove these bolts??

Thanx
Luke

Yeah, there is, I think they're called an e-z tap, guess it comes in a set, but you might need to take the motor out to do so..

good luck

btw, it wasn't a ford dealership, was it?

Never, EVER take your ford -to ford...

Chris

EZ OUT

i had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. well what i did is i went to my local auto parts store and bought a few different sizes of the ez out bits. then i went home and removed my fan cause that just gets in the way and also the top radiator hose. next i got a mirror out and put it down there to see how deep the studs were in there. next i took a center punch and basically estimated the center on the stud and tapped a small hole so that i could start a drill bit in there. i drilled the hole about 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch in on each stud. i then took the EZ out and tap it in a hole with a rubber hammer. dont tap to hard though cause u dont wanna push the studs in farther and strip out the threads. now on the EZ out it has reverse threads so it grips more as u turn the stud out. so just spin it slowly an be very careful not to break the EZ out because it is hardened steel and is brittle. i think i used a 1/8 inch drill bit to drill the holes in the studs. but once u start turning that EZ out they should come right out because once the heads pop off those bolts they are only in about hand tight. it really wasnt hard at all to do it just took time and PATIENCE!! but if u have any more questions about this i am glad to help just let me know and i can give ya my phone # if that will help. but when i asked a mechanic how to fix it they told me they had to pull the engine and i was like i aint payin for that haha and then i did it and it cost about 15 bucks tops to do it all. good luck :)
Matt

Before you go kill your mechanic, be aware that this is a common failure on SC's. I am guessing the first time, they reinstalled your stock aluminum dampener and possibly the stock original bolt. Both are no-no's The original bolt is one use only and should not be reused in my opinion. Also, the stock dampener does not appear to like being removed and put back on. You have a couple of options. 1) you can go to Ford and buy a new dampener 2) you can buy an aftermarket BHJ dampener (around $400). The BHJ dampener may sound expensive, but it is a quality piece and does a better job than the stock aluminum piece could ever hope. I have two and would go nowhere else if I needed another one. As for the large center bolt, the original SC bolt is no longer available from Ford. The late model Mustang 3.8 bolt is a little longer and should work for you. Or, scperformance.com (if they are still in business) used to sell a hardened bolt even stronger than the Mustang piece. Good luck, and know that there are people on this board who have gone through the same thing as you are three to four times.

wow

It's so sad to hear that you can't even take your car to the people who made the damn thing in the first place...
-Damon

Back