Gonna take a look

tbone

Back again after a 8 year hiatus. Had an '89 XR-7; had to sell for financial reasons. Things are better, so going to look at an '89 SC this Sunday. Looking for advice as to what to look for in terms of problems that may crop up at 105K on these cars. 2 owner car from one family; 105,000 miles, garaged in winter, automatic. The main concern I do have from reading some posts is the cylinder head replacement; is this a given malady or is it a result of a car being thrashed / overheated?
By the way, it is all stock. Any suggestions as to what to pay? I have been online, and have found selling points ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous. Thanks in advance for any items to be on the look-out for!

T

Seen this buyer's guide?

Prices, according to NADA, are climbing. Of course YMMV since if you ask ten times, you'll likely get ten different price ranges :) The XR7s, it seems, are getting harder to find than ever.

I believe ABS tends to be problematic on the 89-93, to the point that when it stops working, it seems most people convert the car to non-ABS. So if it's not working on the one you're looking at, you may be in for a project.

I'm thinking by "cylinder head replacement" you actually mean head gasket replacement? The head gaskets are probably the number one issue on a stock vehicle. Find out if they have been replaced already. If not, they will more than likely fail, just a matter of when.

Back