Fairbanks/won't hold 3rd

crazycougar

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been using it for great info. I own a xr7 cougar 4.6 auto, that I purchased in summer and have been tinkering with since.

I installed a fairbanks shift kit two months ago(have done a few with great success). It is 97 4r70w and after installing (with old original fluid) I had no 3rd or OD until WOT. Then...
I rebuilt the whole transmission the only thing wrong was the intermediate sprag clip came of and some worping on a friction plate. Everything new inside even all new solenoids. Also installed a 3500 10" lockup converter and 4:10 gear and still no 3rd unless I force it, I'm thinking it goes into Od. Also it goes to third cruising then when I let off it neutrals out.

Does this sound like a 2-3 accumulator problem?? It was a aftermarket aluminum unit that didn't requir the factory retainer?? Any advice is really appreciated thanks for your time

Perhaps send dirtyd0g a message...he builds transmissions he would probably have a knowledge based opinion

Update

so today I went to the local junkyard and got a valve body plate and all stock servo/accumulators and did the "j-mod" and nothing changed at all. So now I have a rebuilt transmission, all new electronics and valves that came off a car that said runs and drives. Only thing now that's not changed since I lost 3rd and 4th is in the fairbanks shift kit I drilled the valve body in one spot.
I read that the hole I drilled was a "lubrication" hole... Would this hole cause this???

Transmission won't hold 3rd

Good morning

I checked Mitchell Manual. Automatic Transmissions Troubleshooting (Ford AOD). Possible 2-3 Squawk; Wrong Aft. Stamped steel direct clutch drum (always use cast iron drum). Direct clutch circuit leaks (oil control rings, outer piston lip seals, leaking piston check ball). Worn direct drum bushing; Worn case bushing. Worn ring area in case bore. Worn fiction plates. I would go to the web site click click racing to get your answer.

Back