up shift arrow while cranking question

bholmes

Does the up-shift arrow while cranking the engine over on a manual tranny indicate anything or is that only true for an auto tranny car?

All Supercoupes Auto or Manual have the up shift light. Usually the light on while cranking, assuming your car isn't starting, means that the ECU is not receiving a crank position sensor signal. Either the sensor is dead, covered in metal particles, no longer in alignment with the tone ring, or there is some sort of wiring issue.

I believe the up shift light works the same on all Supercoupes, but I've personally only experience with a manual trans SC, under normal conditions it'll turn on under certain gear selection/load/temperature conditions along with a sharp beep to tell you to back off and reduce load to prevent engine damage. I've only triggered mine once or twice in 3rd and 4th gear holding higher rpms and load for an extended period of time. Oddly didn't turn on with a higher speed run from a 5th gear roll on even though i was in the throttle and boost a lot longer than when i had it go off in 3rd or 4th gears. Otherwise its a tattle tale for no crank sensor signal.

Well I was trying to figure out if I had a crank sensor signal but it sounds like I must since the lights go off when i crank the motor. Ugh. Trying to figure this thing out.

Well I was trying to figure out if I had a crank sensor signal but it sounds like I must since the lights go off when i crank the motor. Ugh. Trying to figure this thing out.

No start issue?

Start with the basics fuel and ignition, make sure its firing the plugs, check for adequate fuel pressure at the rail with a pressure gauge (must check with gauge you could have like 5psi of fuel and get fuel out but that's not enough to run the engine on.)

If no spark and no shift up light, I'd look into the DIS Module then maybe the coil pack but those seem rare to fail.

if no fuel pressure then I'd go to fuel filter, pump/pump wiring issues.

If you have spark and fuel at the rail then probably cam sensor, if my memory serves me right if the cam sensor is bad and you can unplug it the ecu can guess and will start about 33% of the attempts made to start it.

I've had to diagnose several no starts 2 on my own SC (DIS Module once and broken balance bolt lost crank signal) and several no starts on fox mustangs which have similar diagnostic steps.

I appreciate the help, I have gone thru several diagnostic steps. Fuel pressure is 38psi, There is fire at all the plugs when I pull them and ground the plug and crank, it is good white fire. power to my coil and the three signal wires to my coil all oscillate separately when a test light is placed between the power source and the signal wire. tried unplugging the cam sensor and cranking. Plugs are damp with fuel after cranking. When cranking I do not get the upshift light. My tach does not bounce when cranking but it does bump a little when I power on. I have a spark DIS, coil, crank and cam sensor. I have swapped them all out one by one and no changes. Ohms from both cylinder heads to the negative battery terminal are 0.5 ohms, negative terminal to the coil pack bolts are 0.4-0.5 ohms and negative terminal to the bolts on the DIS are 0.5 ohms. Checking at the DIS the correct wires are getting power and the correct wires are oscillating with crank/cam signal. I'm really pretty much out of ideas at the moment :confused:

Back