Anyone ever pull a 512 code?

proud_hillbilly

1992 SC, AT, tons of miles (unknown).

After replacing my MAF this morning, I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to allow the diagnostic codes to clear. After reconnecting the battery, I did a KO/EO scan and got a 512 code (Keep alive memory test failure). That kind of sounds like automotive equivilent of the blue screen of death to me. If so, it would explain a lot since I have been chasing gremlins in the car. Anyone ever had a 512?

Also, am I mistaken or should a 1992 spit out 2 digit codes?

1992 SC, AT, tons of miles (unknown).

After replacing my MAF this morning, I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to allow the diagnostic codes to clear. After reconnecting the battery, I did a KO/EO scan and got a 512 code (Keep alive memory test failure). That kind of sounds like automotive equivilent of the blue screen of death to me. If so, it would explain a lot since I have been chasing gremlins in the car. Anyone ever had a 512?

Also, am I mistaken or should a 1992 spit out 2 digit codes?

Three digit codes are correct...I think 512 means you have a chip or EEC tuner attached to the EEC.

David

Sorry, should have mentioned that I checked the memory fuse and it is good. There is no chip attached to the computer that I can see. I bought the car for $800, non-running about a year ago and I have limited knowlege of it's checkered past. It does have a few performance mods, or at least upgraded components - like ACCEL coil pack, 10% pulleys and a ported S/C. That tells me that it could have been tuned. Turned out the reason it was not running when I bought it was that the gas guage was bad. The guy thought he had 1/4 tank of gas but it was bone dry. As Carl Childers would say "it ain't got not gas in it". I called him up and offered to sell it back to him for what I paid minus the tow but he just thanked for my honesty me and wished me the best. Lol. I've chased most of the gremlins out of it and replaced MANY parts - some bad, some just because they were easy to get to since I had something else off. Like I changed plugs, wires and injectors since I had to S/C off to change the fuel pressure regulator. I'll have to post some pictures of the car sometime, it was a killer deal at $800. VERY clean car for it's age.

The reason I was pulling codes is due to a random stutter. I've looked all over the internet and see that it is common on many cars. I'll just be cruising on the interstate, no boost, just tooling along at 65mph and it'll suddenly stutter (for lack of a better word) for a split second - just long enough to give you those butterflies in your stomach because you think you're walking - and then it'll run perfect the rest of the way. Happens about halfway to work on a 25 mile, mostly interstate drive. Might do it every day for a week, then not again for two weeks. Those are about the worst troubles to diagnose. If anyone has chased that rabbit, any ideas are appreciated.

My car has done what you said...swapped out the dis and it cured the problem...could be something as simple as that.

Try reseating the PCM connector. While you have the EEC/PCM out inspect the connector for lose pins.

My '89 daily driver with 211K did the same thing you're discribing and it turned out to be a bad Cam Sensor. $30 part at most box stores.

Also while there you could have em test the DIS module (grey module about the AC compressor)...I chased similar issues for a few months.

-Tim

Back