Aftermarket rearend girdle--how necessary?

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
Several years back when I had an aluminum center section put together, I installed a Control Freak rearend girdle. This guy:

CFK-CF-804.jpg

It's a nice piece, holds more fluid than stock, and has supports for the bearing caps. But it's about twice as heavy as stock, and I'm not sure how necessary it is on my car. Cobras have broken rear covers, but when 5-speed SCs break things in the driveline, it always seems to be the stub axles. I'm pretty sure there are guys making a lot more power than I have using the stock rear cover and having no problems with them at all.

Since I'm always looking for weight savings, is there any real reason not to go back to the stock rear cover?

At your power level with a 5 speed, I wouldn't consider going back to a stock cover for a second.

But if you decide you want to sell it for cheap to your old buddy Rod... :D

Last edited:
At your power level with a 5 speed, I wouldn't consider going back to a stock cover for a second.

I'm only making 377/459 at the moment, though of course at some point I do hope to make more.

If high-hp 5-speed guys like Ira and Ryan Z read this, I'd be curious to know if they still have the stock rear cover.

Also, whether the fact that I'm using the Mark 8 diff case makes a difference in the decision.

Like David said, it is about the bearing cap supports when shock loaded drag racing, not about supporting the IRS pig any better than stock. When shock loaded the rear gears try to push the bearing caps out the rear of the diff. If they do move at all it is most often game over for the ring and pinion :eek: Not generally a problem for SC's as they usually snap the outer axle stub first :rolleyes:

All that said if you do decide to remove it put me up for first dibs to buy it :D

Adam

Zim is an auto

Somehow I got it in my head he had a 5-speed. Not sure why.

Brian, the stock cover is 3.7 pounds, and the Control Freak piece is 7.9.

Thanks, David. I was hoping you'd chime in.

Adam: If I decide to sell it I'll give you first crack at it.

Back