Short Condenser Alternative

BUDXR7

I didn't want to start another thread on this but I also didn't think the new product thread was the appropriate place either.

I've read every page of the American Condensers thread and several others on different options and installs. In the end, it doesn't sound like there is anywhere currently to get a short unit. I am considering appealing to the wanted forum to see if anybody has a *new* one sitting around that was never used. I also have an inquiry in with a custom heat exchanger outfit to see if there might be any options there.

In the mean time I started thinking, has anybody considered using the stock condenser but cutting out the cooling fins that are in front of the IC? This would allow less obstructed flow to the IC. Efficiency and maybe even functionality would be affected for sure but it's an alternative. If I lost some efficacy of the AC in New England, where it might only get used a couple times a year, it might be tolerable, and since it's not working at all right now, anything should be better.

Any ideas on how best to do this? Finesse would be key so as not to damage the condenser. Maybe just slowly (and tedious) snip the fins out one by one? I have no idea if this could be done.

There may be a very good argument for not doing this at all as well? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Ben

I believe the original narrow condensers were off a Bronco II? Can't you find a new replacement for that example that also uses parallel flow?

The Bronco II unit might work but I do see conflicting information on quick connect size and I know the dimensions aren't exact for our envelope. There would be some minor mounting modification/fab work. Optimizing the OEM condenser wouldn't require any mounting modification.

Either way I planning on putting a new condenser in the car when I convert and recharge my AC system so I just might be the guinea pig on this one. Still interested in feed back or if anybody else has ever thought about doing this though.

Not being an exact/direct fit is what led to the group buy (and even it required some slight modification...wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't actually same as bronco II specs in the end), so you seem to be back to square one, sorry.

As for the fins, I doubt they are as much of an air flow issue as the tubing. In any case, that seems like a lot of work for little gain. I'd find a bronco II unit and put the effort into it.

Last edited:
Thanks front180. That route sounds fair enough to me. Are you guys running a dic? And if so did you repurpose the rubber bellows or just ditch that and add a pusher or puller fan? Speaking of pusher or puller, do you guys see the need for a fan shroud in a pusher set up. Reason being my dic was not set up with a shroud on the engine side.

I have the factory radiator puller fan and added a '94 SC pusher fan with a relay tied to the A/C limit switch. When the A/C compressor starts so does the pusher fan. The EEC is in control of the puller fan.

Thanks front180. That route sounds fair enough to me. Are you guys running a dic? And if so did you repurpose the rubber bellows or just ditch that and add a pusher or puller fan? Speaking of pusher or puller, do you guys see the need for a fan shroud in a pusher set up. Reason being my dic was not set up with a shroud on the engine side.

My car has a Bronco II condenser, double IC, puller fan, no bellows.

Back