engine troubles

brianstang

i recently bought a 1990 sc 5sp only 70,000. i gotta a pretty good deal on it because the guy couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. after replacing a few sensors it ended up being the cam sensor and one of the plug wires was melted..now it runs and drives good but only if u unplug the mass air sensor and iac.. ive bought both iac and 2 new mass sensor and still nothing. if there plugged in the car will hardly run and will not pull its self and idles like its cammed. it acts exactly like a bad mass air . the previous owner said when he got the car some idiot had the red wire from the mass air plug wired to the fan... any advice would help thanks

only code is for the egr cyliniod thing on the fire wall. previous owner also did an egr delete but only for the vacum lines. egr is still in there just most of the lines are blocked. and i have no clue where they go so i left them blocked. i figured since it runs peftectly fine as long as mass air and iac was unplugged i wasnt an issue

Last edited:
Perhaps there is a vacuum leak somewhere? Check the inter cooler pipes...when you did plug wires did you remove them?

Perhaps there is a vacuum leak somewhere? Check the inter cooler pipes...when you did plug wires did you remove them?

No vacuum leak.. car runs good and pulls 13-14psi boost with 10% pulley and has around 2012 vacuum at idle. It wouldn't bother me to much but with the mass air not plugged in im afraid its not getting the proper fuel

If you have a egr delete you need a tune. Check everything first. It's not uncommon to get numerous bad parts. It's taken my friend to get 8 maff before he got a good one. I have personally bought 5 GENERATOR BEFORE I GOT A GOOD ONE.

Does the car run good enough to drive at all? Possibly make it over towards the I35 Leon area or Osceola would be even better.?.? I am in DSM.

Does the car run good enough to drive at all? Possibly make it over towards the I35 Leon area or Osceola would be even better.?.? I am in DSM.

Yeah it runs perfect with the sensors unplugged just smells like its running really rich.. i drive ittowork in pella a couple times a week for work when my wife has the other car and just drove it to des moines sat for a gun show. The egr is still attached i just dont know where the vacuum lines go and the diagrams ive found are a joke lol

Be more then happy to look at it with you. Anytime after 5pm would work but The heated shop is up in Nevada. That's a bit of a drive for you. If that works let me know.

Back