PDA

View Full Version : And Then there Were 3, Part 2

TSC89
12-04-2014, 08:34 PM
Well since the blue 93 shell went to Kentucky with Jeff Bratton I had room for another number 3.
I had been looking at this 90 Titanium automatic with light blue cloth interior ever since the first time I went to Dave Blackwood's house 3 years ago.
I picked it up from Dave's estate after being parked for at least 3 years with 119k.
I checked it over, installed a new battery, put in fresh fuel & oil, it fired up and ran like a clock.
It has a few issues with the factory security system, the auto seat belts and window motor bushings but it is a solid rust free car.

I guess I just can't kick this addiction, lol.

KMT
12-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Pretty - looks like it needs hinge pins/bushings on the driver's door?

ganuolfthegrey
12-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Looks good jim

TSC89
12-04-2014, 09:12 PM
Pretty - looks like it needs hinge pins/bushings on the driver's door?

I can see where Dave had installed a new lower hinge and it looks like he was still adjusting it.
It also has aftermarket body side molding on the drivers side that is installed at an angle making it look out of whack.
The plastic bushing on latch pin is gone too so I will replace that before finishing the adjustment.

Melon
12-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Not too shabby, my friend. One of these days, you'll come home with an XR7 ;)

Any plans for this one? How's the interior on it?

TSC89
12-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Not too shabby, my friend. One of these days, you'll come home with an XR7 ;)

Any plans for this one? How's the interior on it?

Maybe so, lol.

No real plans, a few small mods to help run better, swapping out the after market body side molding on the drivers side for factory pieces or complete removal and some appearance mods.
The interior is Crystal Blue cloth and it needs a really good cleaning. Only bad thing on the interior is a couple of dash cracks.

Jeff Bratton
12-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Very nice Jim. Glad to have taken the blue 93 off your hands and make room for this beauty.

ganuolfthegrey
12-07-2014, 03:35 PM
yes I have seen the car first hand. very impressive but this one is staying stock. so when we go to local meets we have a before and after. his and mine

TSC89
12-07-2014, 11:57 PM
yes I have seen the car first hand. very impressive but this one is staying stock. so when we go to local meets we have a before and after. his and mine

HA, How do you know it is going to stay stock? :p

35thpartdeux
12-08-2014, 12:46 AM
Wasn't there a Whipple in the plans with this one?

sinhumane
12-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Looks good Jim. I need to get up to kc and run some of the stuff that was in the 35ths trunk back.

Dave really had an eye for quality examples, this one isnt any different.

Also, check rock auto, they've got the window motor gear assemblies for like $6 each.

TSC89
12-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Spent some time working on #3 for the past few days.
New front pads and rotors, rear caliper relocation kit with new rotors and pads, new fuel filter, 76mm MAF, 75mm Throttle body, Ken Wagner Double IC, 94 supercharger with an MP plenum, Primo billet bleeder cap, new plugs and wires, new valve cover gaskets, Cobra R's with Fuzion 255/50R17's and a Design Concepts Mach 1 hood.

I still have to adjust the hood stops and latch and install new headlights, turn signals, strut rod bushings, a rear pinion seal and a BHJ balancer.
I have a cold air intake tube on the way and I still need to find a stock size aluminum crankshaft pulley.
Yeah, the engine bay is dirty and needs to be cleaned too.

Jimmy 2Coupes
12-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Looks like a Cervini's hood. Looking good though.

TSC89
12-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Looks like a Cervini's hood. Looking good though.

Design Concepts was part of Cervini. From what I have read the two companies are run from the same building. They both sell the same products and well the only difference between the two is Cervini does more finish work to their hoods and the lower grade of workmanship are sold under Design Concepts and the hood hinge bolt holes are not drilled. You can even see where the Cervini name has been sanded off.

89XR7TD
12-31-2014, 09:29 PM
Nice addition to your SC family Jim!!!!

Thanks again for the sweet Calendars:)

Happy New Years bud!

jman2000
01-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Design Concepts was part of Cervini. From what I have read the two companies are run from the same building. They both sell the same products and well the only difference between the two is Cervini does more finish work to their hoods and the lower grade of workmanship are sold under Design Concepts and the hood hinge bolt holes are not drilled. You can even see where the Cervini name has been sanded off.

Where can the design concepts hood be ordered from?

Nice looking car man, same color as mine :)

TSC89
01-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Where can the design concepts hood be ordered from?

Nice looking car man, same color as mine :)

I don't know if the Design Concepts part of Cervini is in business any more. This hood was in a friends garage for at least the last 3 years.

Thunder95
01-05-2015, 12:42 PM
I see the Burns & McDonnell parking sticker there, I work at the same place. Didn't know Dave personally, but good job on rescuing the car to keep it going!

TSC89
02-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Got some more work done.
Tracked the security system problem down to the module in the trunk.
Removed the chime assembly to repair it.
Did some more work to get the hood to fit better as well as adjusting the hood stops and latch.
The new front strut rod bushings are installed. I also installed cleaner original headlights and new turn signals.
I spent a few hours pulling the lower hinge on the drivers door and redoing the previous hinge pin replacement and then realigned the door.

I also removed the factory subwoofer and started testing the factory stereo wiring trying to find out why the radio powers up but there is no sound.

Also getting ready to replace the front spindle assemblies to the late model version and upgrade the front brakes.

Kurt Sunday
02-04-2015, 10:19 AM
Great job bringing it back to life!

Question for you Abe:

"Removed the chime assembly to repair it."

What's wrong with it and how do you repair it? My chime works, but I can hardly hear it.

Thanks Brother!

TSC89
02-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Great job bringing it back to life!

Question for you Abe:

"Removed the chime assembly to repair it."

What's wrong with it and how do you repair it? My chime works, but I can hardly hear it.

Thanks Brother!

The chime in this car also works but I can hardly hear it.
I have taken it apart and found a couple of things. If I get it working I'll fix one for you.

TSC89
03-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Progress today.
The chime is fixed.
Installed a push button VMM.
Installed a JL Audio subwoofer in the factory sub box.
Tested and found the other problem with the JBL system and now I am buying the parts to fix it.

Picked up some Lincoln Mark VIII spindles and a pair of PBR front brake calipers & brackets last week.
Getting ready to buy the strut rod to lower control arm bushings and I will install all of this at once.
The strut rod to frame bushings have already been replaced so one less thing to buy.

35thpartdeux
03-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Sounds like it's starting to shape up. That going to be a shoot out car this year?

TSC89
01-10-2016, 12:16 AM
Took this car back over to the shop with the lift last week.
Since then I have removed the early style exhaust and fuel tank.
Replaced the leaking pinion seal.
Installed a Walbro 255 fuel pump in a new sending unit then installed the assembly in a Gen II style fuel tank.

The fun just never ends!:D

TSC89
01-13-2016, 08:33 PM
I finally found and ordered some NOS Ford strut rod to lower control bushings last night.
Today I installed the Gen II fuel tank and then started removing the exhaust from the blue 90 to install on this car.

35thpartdeux
01-14-2016, 08:35 PM
You better watch it or you'll end up with 2 major project cars... Oh wait I forgot Jason's, make that 3 major project cars lol.

TSC89
01-14-2016, 09:41 PM
You better watch it or you'll end up with 2 major project cars... Oh wait I forgot Jason's, make that 3 major project cars lol.

Yep, the silver car has kind of taken over on my projects but at least it is almost done.
Looking forward to taking it to the Street Car Takeover Kick-Off Party in Blue Springs in April.

I can at least walk away from Jason's!

Nettlesd
01-15-2016, 07:31 PM
Looking forward to taking it to the Street Car Takeover Kick-Off Party in Blue Springs in April.

Gabrielle and I dropped by that one last year for a little while. She had something going on later that night and I went back. A ton of cars come to this thing. Maybe she'll get to bring the truck.

TSC89
03-15-2016, 11:01 PM
After finding an antifreeze drip on the floor and the power steering pump empty I started tearing down the front of the engine.
Found the front seal leaking on the power steering pump and found at least one antifreeze leak at the thermostat housing.
I have a short list of other things I am going to fix while I have it all apart. I am still planning on having it road worthy again by the show in April.

The fun continues..............

TSC89
04-29-2016, 12:27 AM
And the saga continues.....
Well it wasn't road worthy for the show. After replacing the power steering pump the pressure hose decided to split.
I took everything apart a second time and removed the split hose. I decided while I was in there this time to go ahead and check the motor mounts. Good thing I did as I found both of them to be the original Ford mounts and both were split wide open. I now believe the motor mounts were the reason Dave (Stilwell SC) had stopped driving it before he passed. I read all the "it is a pain" posts and but it just took a couple of evenings and I did it outside on the gravel. I started reassembling everything tonight.

eli66048
05-30-2016, 12:13 AM
You look too much for stuff. I drive them with one eye closed and go until they break.

TSC89
06-14-2016, 03:06 PM
You look too much for stuff. I drive them with one eye closed and go until they break.

Yeah, but I have learned the hard way on a few things with these cars so if I am already in there, I am looking. :D

The car has been back together for a couple of weeks, runs and drives as Matt says.

Next up is some work on the bumper covers and then some paint.

TSC89
05-31-2017, 11:36 PM
Before Duane says it, yes, only a year to update this post.

I finished the body work on the drivers door and I will be replacing the front bumper cover since it has a lot of damage underneath.

Today I pulled off the Cobra R's and replaced them with some different wheels and new tires.

Nettlesd
06-06-2017, 09:29 PM
I actually like the wheels on the car. Shootout ready?

DrFishbone
06-07-2017, 12:07 PM
I like those wheels too!