SuperCharger pulleys?

SuperCoupeDave

I see a pulley on spinning wheels that gives you more boost and power. My question is, do you have to be tuned to run these pulleys? Do you need bigger injectors? Or is it just a simple bolt on and go?

Thanks

Put forth a little effort. Try searching this has been hashed out many times. And if your going to ask a question like that at least give us the basics like year of car and mods.

Put forth a little effort. Try searching this has been hashed out many times. And if your going to ask a question like that at least give us the basics like year of car and mods.

I did do a search, but couldnt find anything about whether or not you have to tune or have bigger injectors installed.
I did see that it really really is useless because the intercooler isnt efficient enough to cool the IAT's with the added boost.

My question is, do you have to be tuned to run these pulleys? Do you need bigger injectors? Or is it just a simple bolt on and go?

Your question as it stands might be a bit generic. Know there are various pulleys, measured by the SC community in percentages. Then consider that there were two variations in stock pulleys...early vs late. Some late model SC owners install an early pulley, see an increase in boost and stop there. An early model SC owner might swap to a 5% pulley and live large. But is that proper? Is there another mod that should be done to make it worthwhile? Is your engine already in poor condition/running on the ragged edge and ready to blow at any moment? etc., etc.

On a stock, early, well running SC, a 5% pulley can frequently be run without other mods, but the point is there are other, different mods that can be done to maximize that single change. And how those mods work together are case/by/case, so one recipe won't fit all examples.

And so it begins.

The question then is...what about your car - is it running well, with no other mods at all, or have you already done the exhaust and....? What is your goal? How do you drive it? What is your budget? What is your skill level if you want to DIY?

Warning - making mods can be a slippery slope, with the risk that there is always one change that leads to another, that leads to another. This usually begins with queries such as yours, so....

Warning - making mods can be a slippery slope, with the risk that there is always one change that leads to another, that leads to another. This usually begins with queries such as yours, so....

Best advice for a new SC owner.

The fuel system on these cars was just barely speced to be within the stock capabilities of the engine, it can be pretty easy with a pulley to run out of fueling with stock injectors and a stock pump. Also consider that the fuel system of supercoupes is likely about 20 years old at this point and may not be working as good as when it was new...

On my car with a dual 2-1/4" exhaust, a 10% overdrive pulley on an early model blower, stock 30# injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, and new fuel filter. I data logged injector duty cycles over 100% 4000+ rpms, its not possible to open an injector more than 100% so that means it was starting to lean out on the top end where it needs fuel the most. So the modifications definitely necessitated further modifications in the order of a tune and larger injectors. Running lean can cause severe damage to your engine very quickly on a boosted engine.

decipha said:
Note: installing a 94-95 blower on an early model supercoupe or using a 10% overdrive pulley can potentially net up to about 240rwhp and CAN CAUSE THE ENGINE TO RUN LEAN AS LOW AS 3500 RPM!!! Never install a 94-95 blower or 10% OD pulley without installing larger injectors. The stock 30lb injectors are only capable of supporting 230rwhp. A bone stock 89-90 supercoupe typically makes 200rwhp.

quoted from here

http://forum.efidynotuning.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14&p=43

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna leave well enough alone. I'm not new to SuperCoupes, but new to modding them.
Plus this one I have is far to nice to mess with. 47k mile and in showroom condition.

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna leave well enough alone. I'm not new to SuperCoupes, but new to modding them.
Plus this one I have is far to nice to mess with. 47k mile and in showroom condition.

In my mind you asked a great question. Have you since decided to boost?

In my mind you asked a great question. Have you since decided to boost?

Nope shes still bone stock. I'm more than happy with the way it performs. If I do anything, I'll upgrade to a 94-95 SuperCharger and I really want to swap in a 5 speed. I'm also going to do some interior upgrades. Like leather seats. Though the seats in it now are in showroom condition.

Back