Damaged catalyst, I knew the smell was coming from somewhere!!

HwyStar

Ok, so I had been smelling the egg smell since I got the car running. But, the AFR gage was saying I was good. So, while I had the exhaust down for the rear suspension stuff and the clutch I stuck the boroscope down to see the catalysts. Passenger cat, above, was bright white and clean. Honey comb was perfectly intact.

The Driver side however, was darker, above, and the honey comb had a blasted jagged look. I think its still good. But, I need to fix what is causing it. The exhaust shop did a great job on the exhaust, but I wasn't crazy about the two bolt flange they put on the driver side.

I planed it to make sure it isn't warped, but I suspect it. What I think is happening, is it may be pulling fresh air in through a slight leak in this flange and causing a false lean condition to the computer, which it richens up to what it thinks is right. The ball socket on the passenger side is fine. Im going to put it back together with what I have and smoke it to check. Regardless of what I find, I will have the exhaust shop replace it with a ball socket, or 3 bolt flange and change out mufflers for something that doesn't drone.

Question for Dave Dalke: If the car was tuned with the leak, would it skew what we did? Would it need to be retuned?

Back