Late model blower Install?

jjklongisland

OK, so I think I am going to attempt to switch out my stock 89 supercharger for the late model I bought months ago. Is this just a direct bolt on swap? Is there anything I should change while doing it? Any advice?

There are a few vacuum routing differences between the early and late model plenums, but otherwise yes it is a direct bolt-on swap.

Going to also use late model 36# injectors?

Swapping the '89 pulley onto the late model supercharger?

Going to also use late model 36# injectors?

Swapping the '89 pulley onto the late model supercharger?

Good question, I was going to keep it simple and just bolt on the supercharger. Wasnt planning on changing injectors yet. Is that ok? Also I could either use the stock 89 pulley or I could use the brand new 7.5% pulley I got from spinning wheels last year that was never installed. What should I go with...

If you aren't changing injectors yet, then leave the stock 94/95 pulley on the blower. The 30#s are almost maxed out with motor in stock form, so you don't want to run too lean.

Good question, I was going to keep it simple and just bolt on the supercharger. Wasnt planning on changing injectors yet. Is that ok? Also I could either use the stock 89 pulley or I could use the brand new 7.5% pulley I got from spinning wheels last year that was never installed. What should I go with...

Does it make any sense once you have it apart NOT to swap out the injectors? And the pulley is only a pulley, you can do that anytime. BUT...

If you are going to upgrade the blower and change the injectors then now is the time to take a minute and decide what you want and how far you want to go. Are you going to want more? How much more? Throttle Body, MAF, bigger intake, exhaust? Don't just replace a part, and a fairly significant part at that ;) without a plan.

Now if that plan is to not do much else that's fine. No one questions what you want, and nowhere does it say you have to build a monster. But don't start building anything one piece at a time without giving full consideration to what you want the finished product to be. That's how engine's get in trouble, and people don't spend their money wisely.

Get a plan. Or at least make a plan to have a plan!

At this time no performance upgrades. Did a stage 2 clutch, new water pump, radiator, cooling fans, and head gaskets. I bought the 7.5% pulley prior to me getting the late model blower. Honestly, I bought the late model blower on an impulse buy. I just hate seeing it sit on a shelf in my garage. I figured if I could bolt in on and get a little more boost it may feel a little quicker. The long term power goal of my car is to do a supercharged V8 swap so I dont want to go crazy with my 3.8. I need to be in a cammed V8. I know this will bother the purists but I am all about the look and the sound. Just being honest. I realistically wont do the motor swap until my detached garage is built (hopefully in a year and a half from now). That being said I would love to hear your guys advice. As far as exhaust, I want to hold off until I do the V8 swap especially since I am doing side outlets through the rockers :D:D:D

In that case....just install the new pulley and see how it does alone. You won't risk anything but some time and you'll see a bit of a bump in boost.

In that case....just install the new pulley and see how it does alone. You won't risk anything but some time and you'll see a bit of a bump in boost.

KMT is right. Dont waste your money. Save it for the v-8. The more you modify the less you will have for the swap. You will never get your money back from the parts you install. Save it for the swap. I would be scoring v-8 parts instead.

Back