What do you guys think about a all aluminum remake of the coolant outlet housing?

HwyStar

I know someone that can do production work, and he is good at working with aluminum. My idea is to make something that is a exact copy of the original and instead of using the original thermostat, use one from a newer model GM 3800. With that one the thermostat has a small oring that wraps around it and is squished between the manifold and the housing to get a seal. For the recirc port, just make a groove in the housing where you could put a dab of silicone in and set the o-ring in. Man, just think of it, no more leak! Its just too easy to damage the stamped steel piece. Also, I havent seen one lately that wasnt pitted from corrosion which doesnt help either. One way or another, Im making one for my car. Any suggestions? Ideas to add? Good, bad idea? Tried it already?

It's been done. Brandon Elledge posted these pics up over a week ago on Facebook. That being said, I wouldn't be particularly interested in using aluminum if sticking with a copy of the stock design.

10461955_1025801254113524_6969452518678667912_n.jpg1507957_1025801277446855_4685191653652800632_n.jpg

I must have bumped mine when removing the sc pulley...no more leaks sound good right about now.

Now a stainless steel one would be nice.;)

Kinda like these nice ones for a Marauder.
aju9atu2.jpg

Last edited:
Ah man, that's sweet! I could never get paint to cure on that cross over pipe on the Lincoln. So, spinning wheels is making a repro? The leak on the current out let I have is small, but I hate the smell of antifreeze!

You would have to make a stock repro or you would be making it for yourself. There are very few that have deviated from the stocker.

i have bought every thermostat gasket known to man and after a few i realized that the hole for that bypass is always to close to the edge causing me leaks on both of my cars.After quite a few trys i ditched the gasket and used good rtv and walla it has worked fine on both.Get a gasket any gasket made by felpro and others and hold it up the the housing that large hole is so close you dont have but maybe an 1/8 inch sealing area if that. i had just enough of a leak to smell and sometimes a little bit on the top of the timing cover.and both of them were doing the same thing there both 95s but after many tries i realized the freaking gaskets are not really correct, close but not close enough.Now i never have tried a ford gasket for some reason now that i think about it. i always blamed it on a warped housing but that was not the case on both of my cars i checked them well.

Back