MK VIII brake upgrade?

aroot1

SCCoA Member
The local pull-a-part has 2 MK VIIIs, a 93 and a 95. Pulled the pigs and lower control arms yesterday. Both have very low mileage front rotors/pads/calipers. I want to keep the stock rims, but would always welcome upgraded brake performance. Is swapping spindal/complete brake assy worth it for early model (89)? The cars involved are higher mileage daily drivers, am not looking to race, but I do drive fairly aggressively on the street.

Also is there any interest in the alum drive shafts? I under stand that only the 93 MKVIII has a one piece shaft, and it needs to be shortened for any SC application.

Thanks for your opinions

Adam

The basic install is easy, but you'll need to have parts to match the ABS sensor pigtails, as i recall. Cut early sensors at a junk yard and harvest their leads w/connectors...

Then the sway bar end links need to be changed as well. Might as well get new, I think.

Last edited:
Do it. It's well worth it. Easy to do and you will not be warping rotors anymore. It seemed like regular driving in my Cougar would warp the rotors even with new ones. I haven't had that problem since converting. Now, I haven't taken the car out to race course. So, don't know how well the brakes will hold up there. Will find out in the spring.

Back