Air Bag Sensors

ridecontrol

About two years ago my 95 SC 5-speed was in an accident and both air bags deployed. I'm currently rebuilding her from the ground up, but I just thought of a good question. Do my air bag sensors need to be replaced now, or do they reset? I don't want to put the new dash in and steering wheel center and have them deploy again over something as dumb as a sensor. Also, is there a way to disable the passenger side air bag without causing any damage? Nobody is ever with me when I take the car out on the weekends to the track, so if I can disable them I would like to. Thanks!

I don't know about your sensors but I do have a couple of spare sensors along with both left and right side air bags if you need new ones. The right side is tan color.

ATTEMPT AT OWN RISK

I ASSUME NO LIABILTY

Looking the manual over you can easily disable an airbag by disconnecting air bag and replacing the connection with a 1.0 Ohm resistor (air bag simulator).

Pins 11 and 10 for Passenger 8 and 9 for drivers

Pin 8 Gray/Orange wire
Pin 9 Pink/Black wire
Pin 10 Gray/White
Pin 11 Gray/White

Drivers side may need a 2.0 Ohm resistor to compensate for sliding contacts.

While possible to jumper it at Airbag module I would feel safer at each air bag connector, which would only need a 1.0 Ohm resistor, jumping Gray/Orange to Red. Wire color different because on different side of shorting bar.

ATTEMPT AT OWN RISK

I ASSUME NO LIABILTY

As for sensor to check them check continuity

For Right:
Y/W and P/LG (OPEN)
PK/O and P/LG (OPEN)

For LEFT:
Y/LG and P/LB (OPEN)
PK/W and P/LB (OPEN)

SAFING Sensor:
P/O and P/W (OPEN)
W/O and P/W (OPEN)
P/O and GY/O (OPEN)
W/O and GY/LG (OPEN)

You will need a airbag module too. It's. Only good for one deployment. It'll beep at you every five minutes if you don't replace it, that's all. On the Mark VIII iit'same light blue module on the passenger side behind the glove box. Might be the same on the TBird. Avoid bloated sensors. They get water in them and bloat up. Only thing I've seen these do.

So if I go to the yard... I would need both front sensors and the airbag module? There's a 95 SC close by that I snagged the bumpers from and it doesn't appear to have been wrecked.

Yeah, I've done that many times on other vehicles. Just make sure the sensors aren't swelled at all!!

Remove the glovebox and you'll see the blue airbag module on the lower passenger side A-pillar. It'll be located above the EEC location.

Alright at least now I know. Is there any other sensors besides the two behind the front bumper that need to be replaced along with the module?

The airbag sensors detect deceleration, not impact. They do not require to be reset and should only need replacing if damaged. There is a check sensor located behind the drivers side kick panel. All 3 sensors must detect deceleration before the airbags will deploy. When the airbags deploy, the excess current will blow a internal fuse inside the control module. The fuse can be replaced but is easier to replace the module as was mentioned.

I'm pretty sure there is a third air bag sensor that is in the cavity on the drivers side where the wiring harness from the door enters the car. I think they call it the safeing sensor or something.

edit: mkbrower beat me too it.

Thanks for all the input guys. I've never dealt with rebuilding an airbag system before, so this is all new to me. If the module is all I need to replace then that's great. I just don't wanna be that guy that puts everything all back together and blows the airbags again because of ignorance to how the system works lol.

Back