98 Mark VIII V8 Swap?

jjklongisland

So I may have an opportunity to score a totaled Mark LSC that was sideswiped. I have been wanting to do a V8 swap and am thinking the motor from the LSC would be a good candidate. Will it mate up with the M5R2? How much should I pay for a wrecked LSC? Once the motor is pulled I am junking the car if anyone wanted to try and interior swap.

thanks

yes and no, to do the swap you would need to use the M5R2 main case from a 96-04 f150 with a 4.6L/5.4L. The bellhousings are different between the 3.8L/5.0L and modular motors.

Gotchia... so if I wanted to go with a supercharged cammed V8, what is the recommended motor that would be the most cost effective and least amount of major modification to motor mounts etc. for clearances...

A 302 based motor would be what you want if you want to keep the M5R2. You can just swap the whole motor trans and computer from the mark into the bird. Or you could find a 4.6 from a 92 town car and swap the internals and heads of the mark 8 into the town car block. The town car came with the small block(302) bell housing pattern so you could use the M5R2 with that.

If going with a mod motor, a tr3650 out of a 05-10 mustang gt would be the easiest way to keep a manual trans. If you do pick this car up, I would be interested in some other parts off it.

I thought the modular bellhousing m5r2 had the shifter in the wrong location?

Anyone know for sure?

a t45 can be swapped in too but as mikey said the tr would be most ideal

I thought the modular bellhousing m5r2 had the shifter in the wrong location?

Anyone know for sure?

a t45 can be swapped in too but as mikey said the tr would be most ideal

Yes, the F150 m5r2 will be far from a bolt-in swap, but you can take apart an f150 m5r2, and an SC m5r2, and make one hybrid trans that will fit in an SC and bolt to a mod motor.

The t45 swap is the cheapest way of getting a manual trans behind a mod motor in these cars, but the 05+ tr3650 is easier, and the shifter comes up in the right place. If you really want to go nuts, you could go for a tr6060 out of a 07+ Shelby.

Thanks for the advice guys. My budget for this build is going to be around $3500. Whatever motor I go with is going to get completely rebuilt. Not looking for a race care, just something than sounds real good at idle, is reliable and easy to work on.

Thanks for the advice guys. My budget for this build is going to be around $3500. Whatever motor I go with is going to get completely rebuilt. Not looking for a race care, just something than sounds real good at idle, is reliable and easy to work on.

Is there something wrong with the Mark VIII motor now? If not, then there really isn't any need for a rebuild. They are very reliable in their original form. I was making almost 400rwhp on my stock long block without any issues.

I also may be interested in some parts if you get the car and want to sell of the rest.

Thomas

$3500 to rebuild a 4V and swap it into a SC is awfully optimistic.

My $3500 budget was if I was just going to rebuild a 302 not including the cost of the motor. I can pretty much get a 302 for next to nothing... After talking with my buddy who would be helping me with the motor swap I think I may just stick with a 302 and stroke it. Regardless of whichever motor I get I want to have it rebuilt especially if I am changing the heads and the cam and eventually adding a supercharger on it. Parts are dime and super available. Works easier with my tranny.

I just got a call from the Lincoln owner and he said he wants $500 for the car. I havent scene the interior but he says its in good condition... Confused... Dont know what to do ...:confused::confused::confused:

A 302 swap will be much easier, and if you want that cammed sound, much cheaper too as cams for a 4v are very expensive. That being said, opening the hood and seeing another 5.0 is not going to have anywhere near the cool factor as seeing a 4v 4.6 in there. Also keep in mind that whichever way you go, it would be easiest to also have a tbird with the 5.0 or 4.6 to take the wiring from. The 5.0 wiring will also work with your dash wiring with just some re-pinning, but the 4.6 swap will require removing the dash, converting the wiring behind it to that of a 94-96, and then modifying the tbird engine wiring harness to fit on the 4v motor.

A 302 swap will be much easier, and if you want that cammed sound, much cheaper too as cams for a 4v are very expensive. That being said, opening the hood and seeing another 5.0 is not going to have anywhere near the cool factor as seeing a 4v 4.6 in there. Also keep in mind that whichever way you go, it would be easiest to also have a tbird with the 5.0 or 4.6 to take the wiring from. The 5.0 wiring will also work with your dash wiring with just some re-pinning, but the 4.6 swap will require removing the dash, converting the wiring behind it to that of a 94-96, and then modifying the tbird engine wiring harness to fit on the 4v motor.

Thanks Mikey... Decision has been made. I am going to pass on this and go with a motor that easily mates up with my tranny. I just did a stage 2 clutch and a ripper... I am sure I will have alot more questions when it comes to the wiring etc as the time comes (which is at least a few months off). I just didnt want to waste this opportunity.

thanks

Back