crankshaft grind. 10/10

763supercoupe

I had my crankshaft re surfaced 10/10. The #4 bering was already .010 under from factory but ground it down .010 more, i later read that if you were to re surface the crankshaft that your not supposed to grind #4. Its too late now. Just wondering if anyone has done this? And if they had any problems down the road. I read that it would cause fatigue failure

The most important thing is for the fillets at the corners to be undercut correctly with a proper radius. That is where most shops get hung up, not necessarily having the proper tooling. Lack of a proper radius in each corner creates bad stress risers that lead to cracking.

However, I think that there may be another issue with cutting the rear bearing twice. You may be through any metallurgical surface treatment that was applied by the factory. That could lead to early wear.

Perhaps someone else will correct me if anything here is inaccurate?

I know its a little late now, but if the rear race is ok it could be left alone and then just use N/A 3.8 bearings.

Yeah, Im not going to risk it, going to get another crankshaft. It would be bad to invest the time and money to have it break. Thanks for the imput

Back