Motor rebuild manual?

superpoop

Hey guys.

Are there any pieces of literature out there that details how to build a super coupe motor? Only thing I care about swapping out is the cam, but what I am more concerned with is what I need to do with piston rings, do they need filing down before install? Bearings, how do I know what size I need? Cam break in procedure and oil type? What is needed for a full rebuild parts wise?

The rest if would like to read up on to give me some confidence in the build. I have never opened an engine before so this is all brand new to me.

Neill

At a minimum, you will benefit from buying one of the 3" thick Factory service/repair manuals for your year SC.

Check eBay. Prices typically range from $25 up.

Most important...what is you budget? Having never opened an engine, are you sure you want to learn on yours? :) Do you have all the tools, space to work and patience to manage details?

Last edited:
It's either this or junk the car. If it was up to me I would have junked it when it blew. The girlfriend wants it running but is doing nothing about it. So it's up to me.

Car needs to run. It's worth £500 as a running driving working car. They ain't worth jack here. She wants to split the costs down the middle.

Motor needs to be completely rebuilt. It ran dry with 10 year old oil turning to sludge after the 5th day of owning it.

If it's a difficult, time consuming and expensive repair, I will have it junked on Monday. It's how I feel about it personally. If it's a motor that's simple enough for someone who has moderate mechanical knowledge to work on I will give it a shot myself.

Neill

Where are you living? Is that GBP I see as currency?? If you are here in the states, just order a reman. You will come out about the same after you do the build. If the engine locked up, or started knocking, whatever, you will have scored the cylinders which means boring, and the crank may or may not be salvageable. Looking at supercoupeperformance.com Bill's price is $2200. Or, you could just get a healthy used engine from one of the guys on this board. There are a few cars getting parted in the parts for sale section. Then, you could take the pan off the used engine, take the caps off and check the bearings. If all is good, put the caps back on and retorque. You could go as far as plastigaging the mains and rods to be sure all is in tolerance. If your heart really isnt into it to begin with, this may be the better choice. Its a big job in its self to remove and replace a engine in one of these. Add building a engine to it too....

Thanks,

Motor is both seized and is currently knocking.

That settles it then. I'll call the junk yard and have them collect it.

Neill

Back