New (to me) 95 SC Auto

Plat0ribs

I just finished driving home in my new 95 SC Auto. It has 117K miles, rebuilt engine 45K ago, factory rebuilt Transmission 85K ago, new coat of paint in 06, a bunch of suspension parts over 2011 to 2013.

I flew out to Philidelphia, bought the car and driove it home to Chicago, a grueling 14 hours on the road overnight, check engine light came on one hour into the trip and haunted me the whole way home. I was sure it was going to strand ... but it didn't! I'm really impressed that this car made the trip.

I'm going to be driving it while I bring it up to a higher standard and want to make sure of a few things before I start shoping.
First, the 94-95 SC's are all OBD1 correct?
Sensors are pre-cat so I can run it catless, yes?

I'm familiar with the early gen 1 SC's mostly the 5-speeds, what's different between the gen1's and gend2's besides cosmetic stuff?

Thanks for your feedback, I'll keep you all posted on the progress of this project.

Pretty clean, rust free undercarriage, however upon closer inspection yesterday the dreaded fender rot where the inner fender meets the side rail under the hood.
IMG_20141226_154544_zps594da170.jpg

Attachments

• 20140501_173320.jpg
    20140501_173320.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 256
  • 20140501_173122.jpg
    20140501_173122.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
"larger" MAF, larger injectors, square port sc with coated rotors, different gas tank that allows you to run true dual exhaust, different auto transmission, different ABS system that doesnt suck...larger pulley on the sc than an 89-93, and a windage tray in the oil pan?

A lot of other parts changed too in 94 so many parts in the engine begin with F4xx-xxxxx-xx

Looks like the repaint of your car took it from Cameleon Purple to Black judging by the engine bay but you already know this?

Nice survivor, enjoy it and keep away from further road salt if possible.

A lot of other parts changed too in 94 so many parts in the engine begin with F4xx-xxxxx-xx

Looks like the repaint of your car took it from Cameleon Purple to Black judging by the engine bay but you already know this?

Nice survivor, enjoy it and keep away from further road salt if possible.

The color change was performed relatively Professionally, door jamb, trunk and underhood rails were all taped off and painted to make for a more finished look. the paint surface appears to have some wierdness but so far I have yet to wash it and inspect it carefully, oh and the color change was to a dark blue like my 89 blue SC.

I'm trying to learn about the differences that will impact the things I want/need to fix first, I've got a small exhaust leak and was told by the seller it is a hole in one of the cat bricks so I'm planning on replacing the complete exhaust system with Mandrel Exhaust System (MES) parts. First question: What specifically are the differences between the Gen 1 & Gen 2 Manifold to downtube angles/orientationdown, downtube/cat.

Josh at MES offered the following parts they are preparing to offer to ease retrofitting our exhausts with their parts. These are designed on the Gen 1 manifold/downtube angle/orientation, will they work on the Gen 2 or are the angles/orientation different enough that these parts won't work very well?

PS: keeping this car out of the salt this winter is a no starter, it's my daily driver. However I'll clean it throughout this winter and come springtime I'll devise a plan to protect the undercarriage for subsequent bad weather. I bought this car because 1. My 89 5-speed was rotting out from underneath me, & 2. the slave cylinder I replaced a few years ago failed! So I very much understand the ravages Chicago winters subject our cars to. Fish gotta swim, man gotta work! I have a few project cars that will be stored during the winter, this won't be one of them!

Attachments

• trubendz thunderbird exhaust downtubes.jpg
    trubendz thunderbird exhaust downtubes.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
The driver's side is the same, but the passenger's side comes out angled more on the newer manifolds where the older ones come out more pointing straight down. That pipe will not be a direct bolt-on swap, but it would probably be a decent starting point for an exhaust shop to cut and weld it to make it fit right.

Thank for the confirmation Mike! Can I cut the OE down tube and use them as the starting place for the X-pipe retrofit from MES instead of using their gen 1 parts?

I pulled codes last night after work.
214 in memory, Cylinder ID (wiskey tango foxtrot?)
623, A40D trnasmission referrence, (again ~~~?)

My paper clip was old but I think I did it right, did it twice and got the same codes, so...

TIA guys!

Uhh oh.... Chris as your friend i have to say that since you bought another one its time for you to seak profesional help! Or we may have to stage an intervention before you get too far out of hand!! You obviously are trying to fill a void somehow by punishing yourself!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Nice find BTW lol

Uhh oh.... Chris as your friend i have to say that since you bought another one its time for you to seak profesional help! Or we may have to stage an intervention before you get too far out of hand!! You obviously are trying to fill a void somehow by punishing yourself!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Nice find BTW lol

This is actually the second one I've bought in the last few months. I bought the white one Randy sold a couple of years ago that came back with blown HG's. after Randy put new HG's on it I went to pick it up and found there were other issues besides the HG's. Then the slave cylinder gave out on my Daily 89 5-speed.

I really do need an intervention, or maybe just a bullit in the head!

I would suggest changing the pass side manifold to late instead of cutting up the down pipe. They r supposed to be a step or two above the early manifolds as far as flow/balance. If you have the time, port them both as well. I think that even if you just R&R the pass side you would be performance ahead, and it would be a quicker/more cost effective fix than finding an exhaust shop and paying for what would amount to hack work on the pipe to make it fit.

Just my $.02, if tis even worth that :p

Adam

Looks like a nice one! 14 hours is a long drive (I only had to drive just over an hour out of town to get mine). How much did this SC set you back?

Back