PDA

View Full Version : Tiny batteries are now tinier

Mercutio
01-21-2015, 07:27 PM
I don't talk much about my Camaro here, but humor me for a minute.

This winter, the battery in that car died. It was an Odyssey PC680, one of the first tiny batteries marketed to motorsports guys. It's the exact same battery as the Dyna-Batt advertised in all the Mustang mags years ago. Maybe they still sell those, I don't know. Anyway, I bought it used for $20 in 2011. I got my money's worth.

Just as with the SC, I'm always looking to shave weight from the Camaro, so I wanted the tiniest battery I could find that would start an LS1. Good news: lithium batteries are cheap now, so I decided to give this one a try: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9LPJ8S/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The old Odyssey has 170 CCA (on the website, says 220 on the label) and weighed 13 pounds. The 11-pound Braille in the SC has 220. This new lithium one has 240, but it only weighs 1 lb, 13.4 oz. It's comically small and light.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff99/featheredmafia/Camaro/178_zpseip4hhed.jpg

I'm posting this here because if that battery will start an LS1, it'll start an SC engine, which is obviously smaller and has less compression. I'm definitely getting another one of these when the Braille in my SC dies. It might not be ideal for you guys with big stereos, or maybe living in the Great White North, and it will require post adapters for our cars. But wow...a sub 2-pound battery that works is kind of amazing.

racecougar
01-21-2015, 10:52 PM
That is pretty impressive.

1FSTBRD
01-22-2015, 10:22 PM
Whoa.....that's awesome! I've thought about running a smaller battery in both of my cars in summer, it would help save weight and would reduce weight from the front of the car, too.

Ifrit
01-23-2015, 12:05 AM
I wish i could start my car with 220 CCA, Stupid canadian weather. Good find, hope it works out.

racecougar
01-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Could you not bundle two (or more) of these batteries in parallel to retain a 12V operating system while increasing current capacity? Heck, ten of these things bundled together would still be far lighter than a normal battery. It wouldn't be cheap though.

Mercutio
01-23-2015, 08:51 PM
I wish i could start my car with 220 CCA, Stupid canadian weather.

It was 53 Wednesday when I installed it.

:)

Could you not bundle two (or more) of these batteries in parallel to retain a 12V operating system while increasing current capacity? Heck, ten of these things bundled together would still be far lighter than a normal battery. It wouldn't be cheap though.

I don't know. As far as I'm concerned, electricity is wizardry. I'm still not sure how I passed high school physics.

HwyStar
01-23-2015, 09:47 PM
Or, how about this? This would start your car, and weighs 3lb.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-shorai-lfx21a6-bs12-lithium-iron-battery.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=LFX21A6-BS12&utm_campaign=PLA&gclid=CjwKEAiA_4emBRCxi8_f2cWWjFcSJAB-v1qyKLWc5dNKSgod4mhtM_qDvM1fhnPRXdAmvzi-pHc7IRoCyQDw_wcB

Ifrit
01-23-2015, 09:52 PM
It was 53 Wednesday when I installed it.

:)

Im jealous, it was -40 not to long ago

decipha
01-23-2015, 11:10 PM
pretty cool stuff

I have a 98 LS1 SS 6spd camaro myself, I may look into this battery when I swap the turbo K on it