What tires do you run on stock rims?

1FSTBRD

I'd mulled it over for awhile, and I like the SC rims and keeping the car a bit of a sleeper. That being said, what size of tires do you run on your stock rims, and what brand of tires do you find to have the best grip? I'm looking at a summer only tire......I have Nitto's ZR555's on my Mustang, which have great traction, but was wondering what works for other people on their particular setup.

Feel free to post pics, because i'm interested in how the size (higher/ lower profile) works.

I ran a 255-50-16 on the Lincoln and I would swap the tires on to the Cougar when I went out to cause trouble. Same rims. My best 60 foot was a 1.62 in the Lincoln shooting 125hp dry shot off the line. They were BFG Comp T/A Drag Radials. They are called G-Force 2s now. Good traction for a small tire. Wore those out and went to a set of M/T ET Street radials which Im up in the air about. They seemed to do ok, but I had to heat them a lot. I also have a set of ET Streets that were on the Mach 1 when I ran that. Those were great if you could deal with the bias ply sketchyness on the top end. You could have the factory rims widened in the rear. I had someone tell me that they would do that for me if I provided a couple extra rims to cut material out of.

Now that's what I was looking for! That's some real DIY R&D.

It's interesting in how tire construction and things like that effect traction. I don't think that I want a super low profile tire with the car (out of look and ride comfort concerns), but lower profile tires contact the pavement more.

Back