early to late PCM with larger injectors?

aroot1

SCCoA Member
Just bringing back an '89 5 spd. Fresh ported heads w/stock valves, '89 5spd cam, ported/matched intake, ported exhaust manifolds, flowmaster exhaust, cold air intake. I have a ported late model blower with the coated GTP rotors, MP inlet, and 75 mm T-body, and a selection of over drives available. I know that the stock 30# injectors won't be enough for these parts. I also have a set of 36# late model injectors and a late PCM. Can the late PCM (which controlled 36# injectors stock, so would "assume" is tuned for them) be swapped in with the matched 36# injectors and a 36# "calibrated" Mass air meter? I don't know if the pin outs are the same on early and late PCMs? I would like to do the upgrade during reassembly with out getting into the tuning/QH at this time and was hoping this would work as a "safe" tune to start with, or possibly as far as this car would ever go, as I have nicer cars which I would like to do with better parts.

Thanks

Adam

No not directly

the 94-95 has edis ignition and the 89-93 has an external tfi "dis" ignition

so unless you swap the front timing cover with crank trigger, balancer with 35 tooth reluctor, edis module, and tap the wires from the tfi module to the edis module then the ecu cannot control the ignition correctly

I sell "stock" tune chips to fellow supercoupers for ~$100 on the club discount

AHHH! Gotcha. I knew the front cover/crank sensor were different, but did not understand HOW. Also didn't realize the entire ignition system was redesigned. All I have owned is the early cars, never taken a good look at a late to compare.

I have a lot of the hardware to get into proper tuning, but still need the BE and dongle, and also a functional laptop. Just not ready to jump into the learning curve deep end at this time.

Thanks for the explanation

Adam

Back