Hello I'm new looking for answers

Jubert

Hi fellow ford owners... I have a 98 Mustang... We're cousins basically.... I wanted to know if the super coupe heads will work on my v6 if I do a super coupe head swap...

Yes the SC heads will bolt onto your block, but they won't give you any performance advantage in and of themselves. You could swap the entire SC intake and supercharger setup onto your stock bottom end, but it probably won't last long before grenading. If you are looking for more power out of your V6, your best options are either a complete SC motor swap, a split-port head and intake swap from a 99+ 3.8, or an aftermarket supercharger setup like a vortech.

Yes the SC heads will bolt onto your block, but they won't give you any performance advantage in and of themselves. You could swap the entire SC intake and supercharger setup onto your stock bottom end, but it probably won't last long before grenading. If you are looking for more power out of your V6, your best options are either a complete SC motor swap, a split-port head and intake swap from a 99+ 3.8, or an aftermarket supercharger setup like a vortech.

So I been reading and I get sooo many different forum opinions.... My idea is to get supercoupe intake along with the heads and do the supercharger m90 route... I've seen a guy say all I need is the heads and intake... Now with this forum being the GOD forum of supercoupe, is this correct?

No, that is definitely incorrect. First off, you could use your existing heads. What you would need would be the intake manifold, supercharger, intercooler, intercooler pipes, supercharger inlet, sc throttle body, and SC front accessories and brackets. After swapping all that onto your existing block, it will run until the first time you get any pinging or detonation, at which time your crank will snap, taking out your whole bottom end. If you want to do this, you will need either a complete SC engine, or a built bottom end with forged internals.

SC engine

So if I do the super coupe engine will the wires match up all it be a direct swap or will u need the pcm and harness??? Thanks again for all the info its helping me structure my ideas and savings

No, that is definitely incorrect. First off, you could use your existing heads. What you would need would be the intake manifold, supercharger, intercooler, intercooler pipes, supercharger inlet, sc throttle body, and SC front accessories and brackets. After swapping all that onto your existing block, it will run until the first time you get any pinging or detonation, at which time your crank will snap, taking out your whole bottom end. If you want to do this, you will need either a complete SC engine, or a built bottom end with forged internals.

A good tune will go a long way. That being said I would get up with vmp tuning.com and go with Justin's sc swap tune for the mustang. My stock motor lasted years pushing it well into the 400's for his procharger tune for our cars. I swapped out that motor for something stronger because I thought I needed it. Truth be told I have no idea how much longer the stock motor would have lasted but I was spraying nitrous on top of boost and did not want to risk it.

Edit: Notice my post count:cool:

Idea

A good tune will go a long way. That being said I would get up with vmp tuning.com and go with Justin's sc swap tune for the mustang. My stock motor lasted years pushing it well into the 400's for his procharger tune for our cars. I swapped out that motor for something stronger because I thought I needed it. Truth be told I have no idea how much longer the stock motor would have lasted but I was spraying nitrous on top of boost and did not want to risk it.

Edit: Notice my post count:cool:
so u did the same swap I want to do? Just heads and intake?

If it were me I'd get the long block and drop it in. Like stated the sc has stronger internals for boost.

Engine pt2

If it were me I'd get the long block and drop it in. Like stated the sc has stronger internals for boost.
so just drop in the super coupe engine? Does it bolt directly in? Will my harness work without splicing wires? Do I need the pcm from the supercoupe?

The engine itself will be a direct bolt-in. The wiring and PCM will not. Your 98 Mustang is OBD2, so your best bet would be to remove your mustang engine and harness, swap the harness onto the SC engine outside of the vehicle so you can more easily extend any wiring or swap any connectors that you need to, then install the SC engine with the Mustang harness into your car, and get a custom tune for your Mustang PCM to run the SC engine. Running the complete SC harness and ECM in your car will require more modification to the wiring inside the car and the dash to make it work, and then you will lose the OBD2, and your car will no longer pass any smog test in any state.

No way

The engine itself will be a direct bolt-in. The wiring and PCM will not. Your 98 Mustang is OBD2, so your best bet would be to remove your mustang engine and harness, swap the harness onto the SC engine outside of the vehicle so you can more easily extend any wiring or swap any connectors that you need to, then install the SC engine with the Mustang harness into your car, and get a custom tune for your Mustang PCM to run the SC engine. Running the complete SC harness and ECM in your car will require more modification to the wiring inside the car and the dash to make it work, and then you will lose the OBD2, and your car will no longer pass any smog test in any state.
Damn I live in Nevada they are tough on emissions... So I have to just go the other route and buy the intake and mount accessories... Will I have to custom fab a piece for my throttle cable?

You're not listening! Use the complete SC engine with the Mustang wiring and ECM with a custom tune. Doing that, you should be able to pass emissions just fine. Using your existing engine and swapping the SC top end will not help you pass emissions any better, and will result in blowing up your bottom end.

copy that

Ok... thank you very much.. I shall look into installing the different harnesses.. Seems like a pain though
:eek:

correct

You're not listening! Use the complete SC engine with the Mustang wiring and ECM with a custom tune. Doing that, you should be able to pass emissions just fine. Using your existing engine and swapping the SC top end will not help you pass emissions any better, and will result in blowing up your bottom end.

I did misread this information I apologize... it was game night at the house and i skimmed through it not reading carefully ...:D

Back