Acceleration problem

ghostryder

I have a 90 manual tranny. my issue is when I press the accelerator the car barely moves I'm giving it gas the rpm's don't go up and engine doesn't rev but the car is struggling to go forward. I put it up on jack stands and go thru the gears and the wheels turn and the more I press on the gas the faster the wheels turn, but when I take it of the stands it seems to struggle. in neutral it idles fine and when I press the gas rpm's goes up when in neutral. I put brand new ford coil pack and ford wires because I was getting 217 code (cylinder #3 wasn't firing)

I checked and made sure the plug wire were on correctly and snapped tight

any suggestions on how to fix this issue

thanks

you need to load the engine in order to get anything useful putting it on stand and spinning the tires is pretty useless

when its struggling what is it doing exactly? is the car breaking up? popping? misfiring? cutting out? choking?

it could be any number of things, maf, pump, clogged cat, bad dis, coil, etc... so many number of things, really need alot more detail to give you a reasonable assumption

you need to load the engine in order to get anything useful putting it on stand and spinning the tires is pretty useless

when its struggling what is it doing exactly? is the car breaking up? popping? misfiring? cutting out? choking?

it could be any number of things, maf, pump, clogged cat, bad dis, coil, etc... so many number of things, really need alot more detail to give you a reasonable assumption
it felt like it was choking out

Was it running this poorly before you changed the coil pack and wires?
It ran worse it was ideling rough and I was getting heavy smoke out the exhaut. used my snap on scan tool and got 217 code bad coil#3 so I went to dealer and got new coil and wires. now it idles at around 725 750 and the heavy smoke is gone. when I drive it feels lie its choking like its not getting enough fuel.

Scan it again. may want to change plugs. I take that the smoke was black in color? it sounds like maybe some spark plugs are fouled. just a guess though.how much vacume at idle?

yea pull the plugs and look to see which cylinders aren't happy, then you can focus your attention to that / (those) cylinder(s) and go from there

Scan it again. may want to change plugs. I take that the smoke was black in color? it sounds like maybe some spark plugs are fouled. just a guess though.how much vacume at idle?
yes smoke was black. since I changed the coil pack and plug wires no smoke and it idles good now. I will check how much vacuum this weekend

thanks for all the suggestion gents. I will be working on the car this weekend and will try all the suggestions.. if you'll can think of any others please let me know

thanks for all the suggestion gents. I will be working on the car this weekend and will try all the suggestions.. if you'll can think of any others please let me know

Did the car just suddenly start running weakly or was it something that happened gradually over time ? A little history of any work you are someone else did on the car just prior to this happening would also be helpful.

David

Did the car just suddenly start running weakly or was it something that happened gradually over time ? A little history of any work you are someone else did on the car just prior to this happening would also be helpful.

David
it was running very good. then lost fuel pressure. mechanic diagnosed the pump as being bad so I replaced it with one from rock auto airtek E2098S. it ran well for a month then started having the issue I currently have. I replaced it with the exact same part # that was on the old pump I took out

if it keeps eating pumps you have poor power going to it

did you replace the fuel filter both times you changed the pump?

did the new pump make any difference?

have you checked fuel pressure with a gauge?

I changed the pump in my titanium 91 supercoupe and had to hold the schrader valve open for about 3 minutes with the pump priming to get all the air out of the line, make sure you don't have air trapped in there

if it keeps eating pumps you have poor power going to it

did you replace the fuel filter both times you changed the pump?

did the new pump make any difference?

have you checked fuel pressure with a gauge?

I changed the pump in my titanium 91 supercoupe and had to hold the schrader valve open for about 3 minutes with the pump priming to get all the air out of the line, make sure you don't have air trapped in there
I will check fuel pressure and check to see if air is trapped thanks

Back