Super Coupe Values

sainted22

Folks,

My '95 SC was involved in an accident, and my insurance company wants to give me $2700 and total the car.

Obviously, that valuation is extremely low (they get there by using Thunderbird LX comparables and "adding" the SC option, which is a ridiculous methodology because the vast number of LXs compared to SCs (and their much lower valuations) skews the price downwards).

The adjuster has said that should I be able to show comparable sales that document a higher valuation, they might change their tune.

So, what I'm hoping is that some of you folks that have recently bought or sold SCs might be willing to share the prices you paid or received along with some sort of documentation, i.e., a bill of sale.

My SC is pearl white with a blue leather interior, five speed, JBL audio, 100K original miles, and completely stock. No moon roof. And yes I plan to take whatever they finally agree to give me and fix the car.

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Best regards,

Scott St. Clair

Might not be the best, but check ebay for COMPLETED sales and see if any help. Otherwise, might be worth it to get a local appraiser involved.

Send them these 2 ads and say you want these cars used as the comparables. Tell them the red one is closest to yours, but it needs a full repaint, (at least $4K for a good quality paint job) and he still wants $4K, and the black one has lower mileage, no paint issues, but is the much less desirable automatic.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?124534-95-5-Speed-Low-Miles-Rare-•-Lots-of-Mods

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?131291-95-Black-SC-49K-Miles-Lots-of-mods-PRICE-UPDATE

Also send them the link to this thread, reply #37 shows a Marti report for a 95 5-speed SC, and lists the total production for that year at 645, showing that it is a very rare vehicle, and not something to be compared to a standard LX tbird.

x2, show documentation that it is a limited production vehicle and that the value is more than double their approximation

I paid $4200 for my SC back in 2005, with all current mods Mike Puckett can verify the car and mods (Scott K's old car "Casper").

Though honestly I doubt it will matter, without stated value or collectors insurance all you get is Book, NADA or market (usually which is in their best interest). What I would try harder for is to keep your title with no Salvage lean on it. When my wife 93 5.0 got hit this is what I was able to do, they "totaled" it but I still have a clean title.

Take adjustor's initial statements with grain of salt. They could not care/know less about any special model of car. Don't except no for an answer and provide as much documentation as you can regarding rarity of SC to try to get offer increased.

That's funny, the last nasty-gram I got from the STATE said that I underpaid the taxes on my last '89. 148K and they claim that the tax value on it was $7800 :eek: It would be nice for you if you could find out how they come up with that for the tax value and get the ins. co pay based on that. It seems only fair

Adam

I can try and dig up my documents from 2012-2013. I went to Reno from Oregon to get my 1994 with 80K on it for $3800.00 and that was a steal. Your car was worth more than $2700.00. Let me know if you want scans of documents (assuming I can find them).

That's funny, the last nasty-gram I got from the STATE said that I underpaid the taxes on my last '89. 148K and they claim that the tax value on it was $7800 :eek: It would be nice for you if you could find out how they come up with that for the tax value and get the ins. co pay based on that. It seems only fair

Adam

North Carolina claims the tax value on my '93 SC is $700. Yep, 700 bucks. According to them the tax value on my '93 Lightning is $1200. Yet my gf's 1967, 300K mile, plain jane Cougar is worth $19,500 according to the state.

Back