Are there any problems using a WOT box?

HwyStar

Looks like the only problem would be melting down catalysts. But, is that really a problem if all you do is hit the limiter off the line and make a pass? Most of the posts I see complaints from are import guys. And, I've noticed that crowd tends to show off a lot. But, is that a real concern? I've also heard some catalysts are tolerant of more abuse than others. Which catalysts are the best?

Looks like the only problem would be melting down catalysts. But, is that really a problem if all you do is hit the limiter off the line and make a pass? Most of the posts I see complaints from are import guys. And, I've noticed that crowd tends to show off a lot. But, is that a real concern? I've also heard some catalysts are tolerant of more abuse than others. Which catalysts are the best?
I presume you are talking about this device or something functionally similar
http://www.npcompleteperformance.com/wotbox

Personally, this kind of piggyback cut-out scares me a bit esp when your cats are ALREADY long in the tooth and will cost a few hundred to replace. Your cats are likely somewhat clogged already given their age so sending more unburnt fuel into them during these shifts will only get them hotter and therefore could melt the honeycomb even further

If you have an automatic trans, I'm willing to bet that you can make a similar adjustment to this hackjob module in the tune itself (I seem to remember a function or scalar related to retarding spark during shifts to help protect automatic transmissions during shifts but because I have a manual I didn't pay much attention to it).

This box also seems a bit overpriced to me at $200.
A QH module runs $250 new (I got mine for $200 used bundled with an ECU I sold for $150), Binary Editor SW is $100, the strategy can be bought for $25 from Sailorbob, and you can go to town tweaking things to your existing tune. Sure, you'll get the best perf by tuning on a dyno but the sheer amount of configurability is stunning. A ton of info can be had off of Decipha's website http://www.efidynotuning.com/ for FREE or Don Lasota will sell you his BE HOW-TO manual for $75.

-g

I use one to spool my turbo and works great for this. The no-lift shift seems like a good tool for a manual car though. Under wot it's going to throw fuel into the exhaust and ignite so it may damage the cats.

That's the reason I was considering this, I have a manual shift. Also, I will be replacing my catalysts anyway due to a exhaust leak that caused the car to run rich, which damaged the driver side cat. I may just do it and take the exhaust down and scope it to see how it turns out.

Any opinions on a tougher catalyst?

Cats.........................who runs those?..............:p

My area doesn't have emissions checks so I haven't had cats on my exhaust for many years now.

Attachments

• new exhaust setup 005.JPG
    new exhaust setup 005.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
I'm outside of Richmond. We don't have gas analyses as part of inspection, but Northern Virginia does. I would prefer to have catalysts. The way I see it, figuring out how to deal with this restriction makes the final product better.

Awwe, man, you fix your transmission problem yet? I work with a builder by the way. He built the trans for my gold Mark VIII.

Yeah. It was centered in Mineral Virginia. About two years ago now? Weirdest thing. I was in the living room, felt the floor shake, thought it was a big truck since Im right off the highway. Then , I saw the fish tank sloshing. I stood up to deal with that and saw the pool sloshing, I realized I couldn't deal with that. I knew there were inactive faults out here but never thought we would have a earthquake. When you think earthquake, California and Japan come to mind.

And, Mineral is about 100 miles from Gloucester. Crazy.

http://m.wdbj7.com/weather/did-you-feel-thursdays-earthquake-in-northern-virginia/31520782

Didnt notice it because I was on duty. Wouldn't feel anything on the ship. Didn't know it happened. Wonder if this is a sign of things to come. I've lived here for 19 years and don't recall this kind of activity. Then again, I wasn't paying the attention then that I do to things now. I don't know. You lived here your whole life? Does it seem more frequent? I'm from Texas. Lived a few years in England too.

The earthquakes are definitely not normal around her. My brother lives in Mineral. Lots of toppled chimneys and the post office got it pretty bad. Schools had to run diferent grades on different days to share the one school that didn't get damaged.

At the shop the roll up door shook, didn't think much of it cause it shakes when the marine base blows stuff up. Then it kept going and shaking more stuff fell off the wall. I ran into my dads office and said get the eff outta here.:D I thought the parking lot was falling into the street behind us at first cause the retaining wall was moving before. The wall was fixed before the quake, but thats all I could think of til I ran out there and it was fine. Then I swear I saw the bank drivethru overhang swaying. Fun times.

Yeah, looked it up and turns out there is a newly discovered fault in this area called the Quail Fault. It appears to be short. I'm guessing it's only as long as USGD was able to detect during the 2011 quake. Might see more of it from this 2.5 that just happened.

I looked it up, and closest fracking is west of Charlottesville which is way far off from the new fault.

So what we get from this thread is.... if you think about using a WOT box you may cause earthquakes. :D And melt your cats of course.

Back