manual to automatic

superpoop

Hey guys.

Finally got a motor for the superpoop on route to us. Its from a manual car.

Other than flywheel, starter and torque converter, what else will need to swapped for this to bolt up to an automatic trans?

Neill

Starter is the same, all you need is the flexplate from your auto. You'll also need to remove the pilot bearing from the rear of the crankshaft because the snout of the converter needs to fit in there.

assuming you have an original auto sc and your just swapping an engine in from a manual car thats basically all you would need, if its an 89-93 AOD auto then youll need to swap the throttle bracket over too that has the tv cable

depending on year you may or may not have an egr, if you do, you may have to swap over the headers and inlet plenum

In any case do not forget to remove the pilot bearing from the back of the crank!!!!

Yeah the car is an automatic and is complete with knocking motor. Everything complete to swap

Engine will just be swapped into this.

Car is an 89, motor is a 90.

cool, should be easy

few things to note

replace the heater hoses and clamps
replace the high pressure p/s line
should replace the oil pressure bypass in the timing cover too

Id recommend getting a b&m bar and plate cooler and not hooking the cooler lines back up to the rad

dont forget to plug the fan back in!!! I did this past week when I yunk my rad to swap my crank pulley (that pulley gave me exactly 50rwhp dave!!! 224 to 274) and if not for overheat protection in my tune I too would be joing you on an engine swap as well lol

If you can find one I highly recommend sourcing a 2003 3.8L Mustang transmission from a wrecker. My 94' 4R70W went out and I found a 4000 mile trans from a totalled Stang in pristine condition. There are a few small mods required to make it work but I truly believe it's worth it. As for the rest of the suggestions - my car was an auto to begin with so whatever the other guys say about your swap is recommended. Even though you're asking the questions I suppose I have one. Won't you need a computer out of an auto car to make this work?

If you can find one I highly recommend sourcing a 2003 3.8L Mustang transmission from a wrecker. My 94' 4R70W went out and I found a 4000 mile trans from a totalled Stang in pristine condition. There are a few small mods required to make it work but I truly believe it's worth it. As for the rest of the suggestions - my car was an auto to begin with so whatever the other guys say about your swap is recommended. Even though you're asking the questions I suppose I have one. Won't you need a computer out of an auto car to make this work?

My car is an auto so I already have it. Its unfortunate its a later model mustang trans that's needed. There are a few early export model mustangs here. Nothing post 95 that I can find

Ahhhh - England. Yeah that would be a problem. Makes me wonder how well received your car is when people see it? I've only seen about 6-7 different SuperCoupe's here in my town in Oregon (125,000 people). Can't imagine how rare your car is over there.

Ahhhh - England. Yeah that would be a problem. Makes me wonder how well received your car is when people see it? I've only seen about 6-7 different SuperCoupe's here in my town in Oregon (125,000 people). Can't imagine how rare your car is over there.

They hate it to begin with because the exterior is so poorly maintained.

There's a few types of popular car culture themes over here. There's the new car crowd (BMW 3 series, Audi a3/a4, things like that.) There's the hatchbacks like the Vauxhall astra VXR, Focus RS, Skoda fabia VRS etc. The euro volkswagen scene, There's the Japanese crowd and then there's me who turns up in the superpoop. It does not fit in at all.

It tends to change when they get in it. Nobody has ever heard of automatic seatbelts, they are surprised to learn about it having IRS and an upper/lower control arm setup on the front, along with the ride control on firm it pretty much destroys their assumptions about american cars.

The general consensus on american cars is they all have solid rear axles, ride on leaf springs, are all V8's and are huge and heavy. The tbird suspension is a lot more sophisticated than they imagine, is a V6 motor and isn't the biggest car on the road. Then for it to have an independent rear? Blows their mind.

The sn95 cobra I have tends to get the most negativity, though.

Back