Upper control arm opinions

potshotscott

I've read quite a few of the suspension threads here and over at "the other forums". There are some opinions on parts and components but my big question is this: My 1994 SC has front upper control arms that have wasted rubber around what I guess I'd call the kingpin. I just received my shiny brand new Tokico Illumina's from Shox.com (the legit two position awesomesauce OEM replacements). While I'm underneath the car I feel the need to replace those upper control arms. Any suggestions on what some of you might have chosen would be great. I'm considering some low mile parts from a '97 that is at a wrecker's close by to save some coin but am willing to pay some for brand new as long as they'll go the distance for the next five years or so.

One last question - any chance I can rebuild the stock upper control arms? I don't think so but would love to hear if any of you have.

Scott in Oregon

I don't believe the upper ball joints are serviceable. You'll need to replace the whole arm--I'd recommend new parts over used.

Thanks for being a sounding board. I suspected I'd get those answers.

Now that I know it's going to be new parts can anyone suggest which brand? A good friend of mine who has a top fuel dragster recommends Moog. Any other recommendations?

I've been using the AutoZone $40 uppers on my '90 for the last 3 years - no issues...the ball joint is grease-able, but you might find some that claim 'sealed for life' if you look around. With all the rain we get here in Oregon, I like to be able to flush mine out every so often.

And I agree to not bother w/used.

Ken
Salem

The Raybestos/AC Delco Professional Grade front UCA's are currently the "beefiest"/most robust ones on the market.

The Raybestos/AC Delco Professional Grade front UCA's are currently the "beefiest"/most robust ones on the market.

I got a set of Lowers and was shocked at how beefy they are. Now just waiting on it to warm up so I can replace them.

The highest quality grease blessed Mook control arms is what I put on. The ball joint is twice the size of stock and they are beefier all the way around.

Uca

I was able to find Moogs for my 94' SC..............I Road Course the car....they stand up to the requirements.

Thanks all - I ordered some Moog arms. Can't wait to find some time. Got some new engine mounts, trans mount, shocks, struts, sway bar bushings too.

Does anyone have any epic advice for removing the passenger side bolt closest to the firewall/air conditioning crap? I'm about to start cussing and throwing tools.

I have the air intake (MAF) tube out. I've got the front strut and spring assembly out (replacing them anyway) and have the front bolt out. Have also removed the ARC actuator in the front passenger as well. I'm thinking about pulling the throttle body cable assembly out of the way so I can reef on the nut. I can take a picture and text it/upload it here if you'd like a peek.

Yeah, a pic would jog my memory.

I recall having to fuss with it when I did mine last year, but I also had lots of tools to pick from that helped.

A little heat did the trick. Finally got the firewall side bolt out. What a main event that was! According to my tracking number stuff the UCA's will be here tomorrow - I'll have my motor mounts back in and I'll get the front end back together. Can't wait! Then its time to tackle the rear shocks - which I think will be a little easier than the struts and UCA job I'm working on now.

Got my new UCA's. SIGH. They are both Moog brand quote unquote. They are not the same. One has a grease fitting and one does not. One is firm and one is not as firm. The supplier claims that they are on back order and if I want new ones it will take a month to get the replacement. Would you guys recommend installing both and getting the car back on the road or should I be picky? I think picky.

Back