Runs fine. Park it for a couple hrs and randomly it wont start.

RDSC

I need to know what my problem is. It has ran fine the whole time ive had it and niw at random times it wont start. Just cranks over and over and over.!? I need to find out seems to be something with the fuel or it not getting spark at times. Havent ever had to do much to it besides brakes and a little bit of thermostat work. Car has low miles and usually runs like a top doesn't miss or anything. Please let me know what you guys have in mind?

The Camshaft Position Sensor is prolly worth a look. Easy and cheap. Put a new one on and toss a spare on the shelf.

When it won't start, try depressing the gas pedal all the way and then turn key and see if it starts. If it does it might be a leaky injector or something else causing a random flooded condition. (Depressing gas pedal shuts off injectors while starting).

When it won't start, try depressing the gas pedal all the way and then turn key and see if it starts. If it does it might be a leaky injector or something else causing a random flooded condition. (Depressing gas pedal shuts off injectors while starting).

Also with this recycle the key and leave it in the run position with out starting this will give the fuel system time to prime also see if you can here the fuel pump.

I just had this kind of probblem in my old f250 and it was the fuel pump some times it would work some times not.

Sounds very much to me also a Cam Sensor issue as I chased a similar problem with my daily driven '89 SC a few months back.

Should be a shelf item at most parts stores around $25-$30 depending on brand selected.

-Tim

Yeah last night it wouldnt start at all barely sputter so it should be getting a tiny bit of gas. So frustrating I thought maybe if I had a better battery it would turn over faster. So I just left it, came back in about an hr and it fired right up no problem. I did have it on the battery charger but the only reason for that is cause I ran it completely dead trying to start it in the first place. It seems the lucus fuel system cleaner I bought at local auto part store stopped our problem for about a week. Its completely random. Very thankful for all the replys!!

I,m having the same problem with my 95sc, went on holidays for 2 weeks now it wont start just cranks and cranks. What do I need to change out this cam sensor you speak of? thanks all.

If it is the cam sensor, it'll start after a few tries. Do not just keep cranking, turn it over, if it does not start as normal, stop cranking, wait a second and try it again. Generally will start in 3-4 tries. You can also disconnect the cam sensor as a test, with the same start up procedure. Another symptom of the cam sensor is erratic/odd behavior from the tach

Adam

What do I need to change out this cam sensor you speak of? thanks all.

The cam sensor is located right behind the water pump, on top of the timing cover. Facing the engine, it's on the left side. Essentially the same place a distributor would be. It's black, about the size of a calculator, and has 1 plugged in wire attaching at a 45* angle. It has 2 very small bolts (6mm?) that hold it down. You could use the search function on this forum, look up "cam sensor", there are photos of it all over this site. Good luck.

Replacement of camshaft sensor

Mine is a 92 and on 93 and older you have to use a special gap tool or like a matchbook or something. Seems to be a little more complicated then expected, setting cylinder no 1 at 26 degrees after top dead center and all. Should I really be trying to replace this if there's a possibility that this isnt my problem ? Car has been fine last couple times starting it. Has started first time the last 5 times I drove it! Thanks.

Mine is a 92 and on 93 and older you have to use a special gap tool or like a matchbook or something. Seems to be a little more complicated then expected, setting cylinder no 1 at 26 degrees after top dead center and all. Should I really be trying to replace this if there's a possibility that this isnt my problem ? Car has been fine last couple times starting it. Has started first time the last 5 times I drove it! Thanks.

You don't have to do any of that just to replace the sensor (round black cap). Just unscrew it, remove, and place new cam position sensor back in the same position. Screw it back in and reconnect plug and your done. All of that top dead center 26 degrees stuff is if you remove the "stalk" that sits under the cps, which you don't do just to replace the sensor.

You don't have to do any of that just to replace the sensor (round black cap). Just unscrew it, remove, and place new cam position sensor back in the same position. Screw it back in and reconnect plug and your done. All of that top dead center 26 degrees stuff is if you remove the "stalk" that sits under the cps, which you don't do just to replace the sensor.

Correct...and that stuff about setting the air gap using a matchbook cover is for the 89-93 crank sensor, not the cam sensor. BTW, I'm not saying the cam sensor is your problem, just commenting on how to change it.

David

PS: 7/32" socket fits the screws that hold the cam sensor on.

Huge help for me.Thank you. Reading out of those haynes book's is difficult, understanding that Iam only 18 yrs old and those books dont help unless you already know what your talking about. I will buy the part and replace by tomorrow and let you know how things are.

Back