How to Remove the Gauge Cluster on a '95 SC ???

ThunderTurkey

Does anyone have directions on removing the gauge cluster on a '95 sc? I've already cracked the cluster Overlay, and don't want to damage the gauges, but there are NO lights in the dash panel on the drivers side that light up! Help! :confused::eek:

There are clips that hold it in and a couple screws. Been a while since I pulled mine out on the 95, just gotta be careful and remove anything that is in the way.

Chris

I'm assuming the part you cracked is the big dash surround--that's always a tight fit, but it's easier if you tilt the steering column all the way down and loosen the two bolts that hold the steering column to the dash. There are 2-3 bolts that hold the bottom of the surround to the dash, and two at the top of the surround, in front of the gauges. With those removed, you should be able to carefully remove the surround (you'll have to disconnect some wiring, too).

There are then four bolts that hold the gauge cluster to the dash. Remove them, pull the cluster forward a bit and tilt it up to disconnect the wiring at the back of the cluster.

Yes, it is the surround that I cracked, but it's such a CLEAN crack, that placed back in, it's pretty much unnoticable! Maybe lowering the steering column will help, 'cause even with the cluster unbolted I can't fit my hand behind it to loosen any wires or get at the light bulbs. I'll try again following your advice.
Thank you very much !!! :D

There are two large electrical connectors plugged in to the back of the gauge cluster. Squeeze the ends of each connector in to release them. You'll also have to unhook the vacuum line to the boost gauge.

Interested to know what you find to be the cause of no lights on one side. I've noticed a few times on my 94 the lights being off on the left side if the dash. Once it was the dash left turn signal light, then it came back on by itself, another time the guage and turn signal lights were all out on that left side, only to come back on the next time...

I thought I saw mine on briefly one time also, but then figured I was just imagining things. First I'll replace all the bulbs, and if that doesn't help, I make look into something called the "IVR"(instrument voltage regulator), if this year has one.
Weird that all other lights in the dash work(AC - Heat - Radio - Door Ajar, ect.) but not the turn signal and gauge cluster bulbs!

While getting ready to replace the bulbs, may I suggest some new bulb holders also?

The old ones are, well, old. It could be as simple as oxidation on the cluster and the bulb holders, causing them to not be able to conduct enough.

I recently relamped both my Dakota, and my nephew's S10 clusters, with these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KT1BH1Q/

Caution - they ARE polarized, so I had to sit there, use the appropriate service manuals and a 9V battery and a pair of test clips, and verify that the bulbs would light up while sitting on the kitchen table.

But that shows you what to look for. I'd get new bases even if using 194s or the brighter 2825 bulbs.

RwP

what are the regular ilumination bulbs on the back of the cluster are they all 194? i have a few out on my 95 and want to fix them asap

For all but the digital dash, yep, 194's.

Suggestion? Bite the bullet, and if you pull the cluster to relamp, replace ALL of them.

Also, the 2825 is a brighter replacement for the 194. The W5W should also fit and work.

AND - if you go LED, leave a new 194 in the CHARGING light position, since it's part of the field coil circuit for the alternator. LED may work fine, but since I'm not an EE, I took the easy way out and left that one position incandescent.

RwP

absolutely drop the column down there are four nuts the front two are kinda a pain mainly the right side front nut but with extensions you can get to it i generally remove completely the front two closest to the driver and then loosen the other two by firewall and column will drop down to get you plenty room to work.I learned the hard way myself.

Back