How to drain gas tank?

scjranchero

My 1990 xr7 has been off the road for about three years and I want to use it this summer. Problem I'm having is that the tank is full of stale gas and I want to drain it. First I tried in vain to get a siphon hose in the tank but no luck-then I disconnected the fuel filter,de pressurized the fuel system (there was no pressure) and tried to pump the gas out of the line by turning on the ignition but the pump just runs for a couple of seconds and stops. I am almost sure I did this when I first got the car and it worked that time but no luck this time. Any suggestions guys? Thanks. Gary.

Just to add I read in the archives something about grounding the inertia switch to start the pump-would this work on my vehicle?

See this post.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...-easiest-way-to-drain-gas&p=512440#post512440

I don't have an inertial switch anymore (my tbird is a track car so I replaced it with a manual switch) but I've used this technique to get the pump to drain the gastank in ~5 min or so.

If you hear the pump running but aren't getting enough flow out of this fuel pump out the supply line on the fuel rail, I'd check your fuel filter as it might be clogged.

-g

My 1990 xr7 has been off the road for about three years and I want to use it this summer. Problem I'm having is that the tank is full of stale gas and I want to drain it. First I tried in vain to get a siphon hose in the tank but no luck-then I disconnected the fuel filter,de pressurized the fuel system (there was no pressure) and tried to pump the gas out of the line by turning on the ignition but the pump just runs for a couple of seconds and stops. I am almost sure I did this when I first got the car and it worked that time but no luck this time. Any suggestions guys? Thanks. Gary.

Ground this terminal on EEC test port to keep the fuel pump running with ignition on. Test port is located under the hood, on passenger side close to the firewall.

fuel%20pump%20test.gif

David

Last edited:
Don't forget....the fuel in the tank is what cools the pump, so don't let it run any longer than necessary once it starts sucking air.

Also, an empty tank with vapor can be more dangerous than a full tank...

Back